Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:19 pm 
Crudus

Just like the title says: ITT I'll be posting my somewhat random thoughts following a couple read-throughs of the V0.6 rules docs. I'd love if others chipped in, or any of the RRG fellows responded as well.

*p.5 needs a correction: "other models bases" should read "other models' bases".

*In the rules sections, I think it'd be helpful to have some gameplay photos with appropriate captions demonstrating some of the concepts. As a quickie simple example: a photo of several gladiators varying distances apart with their 1" reach ranges Photoshopped in.

*"Destroyed" changed to "defeated" is a plus (also a hint at future campaign rules? Maybe? Please?).

*Terrain section seems more clearly defined (another place where pictures might help).

*Suggestion: Add diagrams of possible arena layouts of various sizes and including different terrain options with a few sentences explaining the tactical reasoning behind the choices and maybe suggested "plans of attack".

*Overall the revisions for clarity are perfect - everything is VERY straightforward and easy to understand.

*Titans: Am I reading right that they can never be pushed? "resist all pushes" seems unambiguous, but that strikes me as a big bonus. Maybe to make them still strong while off-setting the trimming of the number of stages they get?

*Displacement seems like a really nice addition: good way to factor in size/strength of some of the bigger models while not being overpowering.

*It's clear RRG felt the Titans were a little too much after their first round of rules. They've all been toned waaaaaay down - I'm assuming feedback was pretty universal then. (I know we found them to be one-model wrecking crews at times).

*Wild: I would love to hear from any of the RRG guys about their thought process here. It seems like they're trying to make sure animals act like animals rather than another gladiator... And just to be positive, am I reading correctly that every Clear Turn your Beasts could potentially attack your own models? If so, you better make sure you're planning your model placement really well prior to every CT...

*Tactics:
-Incite: seems like a good addition. Nice way to make sure any Living Hazards have an active role in the game's outcome.

-Should the Ludus-specific benefit be based on 100% of the cohort? I kind of think it should be an all or nothing sort of thing (though I've certainly taken advantage of the 75% cut-off in the past).

-Obviously RRG thought the Ludus-specific Tactics needed a serious overhaul - most of them have seen significant changes. I wonder what they felt were the most important pieces of feedback about that from the last go-round...

-Ludus Magnus: Rouse/Flourish seem perfect to capture a sense of showmanship in the most traditional gladiators.

-Legio 13: Maniple has been made less about actively assisting and more about moving into position to help. Subtly toned down IMO.

-Legio 13: Stone Guard/Echelon switch - would love to know what problem it addresses (I liked Stone Guard - maybe too passive?).

-Morituri: Will of Antony seems really powerful.

-Morituri: Blessing of Osiris changed name to Cleopatra's Gift. Not knowing much Egyptian history I assume there's something prompting the switch...

-Blood Brothers: Seems to be most changed - pretty nerfed IMO. I know there was some feedback around here about their Tactic being too powerful, but that wasn't really my (limited, admittedly) experience.

-Blood Brothers: Ambush seems like a sort of sneaky way to finish off an unsuspecting opponent.

-Blood Brothers: Blood Brother seems interesting - sacrifice from one to save another.

-Blood Brothers: The cost of Brave seems too high IMO. I think 1 Favor and 1-2 damage would probably be appropriate - why 3 damage?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:07 pm 
Founder of the Republic

Thanks for the feedback.
This is just the type of stuff we were after.
We'll be discussing this post and all the other players' input this week. Much of which has come in through info@redrepublicgames.com

The switch from Destroyed to Defeated is meant to leave the door open for a future campaign ruleset.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:24 pm 
Crudus

I'm glad these comments might be of some use - I'll try to expand on them this time so maybe they'll be more productive.

For round two I'll be focusing on my takeaway from the characters' cards...

*ATK = increased across the board, barring my man Otho. In all my games (which is probably an insignificant sample) I never really felt like increasing ATK was a huge need - I'm not of the mathematical persuasion myself, but it would be interesting to see how the chances of scoring various levels of successes compare between the two ruleset versions.

*Infelix: I like the change in wording for Swift - makes sense that other models with the same skill would counterbalance each other.

*Marcus Furius: I like the clarification for Entangle.

*Septimus: I like the adjustment to Momentum - maybe it's just me, but I always felt like he was sort of caught in no-man's-land from a skills/tree perspective, like there was not quite enough unique about him. Maybe giving him a little something extra versus bigger gladiators will help.

*Nero: Has Momentum like Septimus, but the wording is different. I would suggest changing the name of the skill or adjusting the wording to fit all the other Momentums. IMO for the sake of clarity all skills of the same name should have the same rules.

*Nero: Vitality is waaaay down, but that's comparable for all other Titans. I think this is good - he and Septimus were ass-kickers the times I played them together. Maybe I'm missing something, but does Gore really add anything? Don't a Push and Follow-up achieve the exact same result? If so, why give him a skill that just replicates an ability he already has? (And like I said, maybe I'm missing something obvious about it.) Killer changed to Triumph = fits perfectly with the Destroyed to Defeated change.

*Micon: Maybe this should go in the Rules Queries subforum, but I'd love for someone to talk me through the utility of Reversal. Switching the order of damage tree results seems sort of like "six of one, half a dozen of another".

* Gaius Pallidus: I'm obviously the minority, but I liked the original wording of Regrowth. In the games I've played, it hasn't been that frequent that I end up having more than a pair of models within three inches of GP so "all models" was never that much of a deal-breaker. I guess I can see someone abusing it, so maybe "one model / three Vitality" or "all models / one Vitality"?

*Proximo: + that Coordinated Strike is gone - it seemed too planned for arguably the wildest of the Titan Beasts, though he does present as more in-control overall now (with Feral, Instinctive and Roar being gone). I do wish Reach was still around TBH.

*Ur-kek: (Major caveat: I've never played with Morituri characters personally) Wither = better than Spite IMO. I thought it was a really characterful ability for when he checked out, and Spite just seems a little generic. Maybe this is toned down to balance Will of Antony, which seems like a really powerful Ludus Tactic

*Zahra: Lash = appropriately downgraded. She was the only model I felt was (arguably) overpowered in the first rules iteration. Now it seems to work more like an actual whip (i.e. not quite as controlled as before). Also Deft is a nice addition that adds character.

*Sereqet: Seems significantly toned down, even more than the other Titans. And now that I look a second time, Ur-kek's Wither has become Sereqet's Toxin. That seems logical, but I still wish UK had a little more "interesting" death ability.

*Thoth: +2 ATK - wow. Big jump. He must have been a big-time underperformer previously.

*Tiet-Khebi: Innervate's wording is awkard (needs a conjunction somewhere in "model, the model"). Also Enervate/Innervate seems like it might be needlessly confusing IMO. And 7 ATK and her damage tree is pretty badass. RRG must want her to be Morituri's "star" (which makes sense considering how nice her model turned out).

*Sven/Vargr: Berserk - the "to pay a cost" wording is gone. 3 damage seems to "normalize" the cost a little, but I liked the variability (and subsequently cost/benefit calculations) previously.

*Frigge: Sad to see reposition disappear from her damage tree - I thought she was the perfect complement to essentially all the other BBs with that skill. Loved her the way she was.

*Bjarrhvit: Trapper replaces/upgrades Spirit Guide, and fits logically. Kudos.

*Hroka: Protective = cool, characterful. Also lost reposition result. Blood Brothers as a whole seem the most nerfed - not sure they needed it based on my sample of games, but obviously others saw things differently.

*Caho-Ta: I like Skirmish and the survivability it adds. Bonded seems like a good way to show the connection between horse and rider.

*Wendigo: I wish Consume Essence was still around in some way - it fit sooooo perfectly with the myth behind his name. Famine is cool, but not quite the same IMO. Again, Enervate/Innervate seems like one or the other should be changed.

*Leo: Roar change = in keeping with him being a wild animal (i.e. can't just generate favor for everyone). Pounce + Opportunist = perfect way to represent a big cat, IMO. Always dangerous and you better not turn your back... (Also, Leo's model is shaping up to be the best of the bunch - I'm anticipating him being close to an "auto-include" in my lists.

*I can't say enough how AWESOME the cards look. Their design is sleek, professional, and really draws the eye to the right places. No idea who RRG's graphic designer is, but they earned their check and then some with these.

*Finally, I almost literally can't ****ing wait until I get the actual game in my hands. Come on, MIKH!