Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Grovels First Game
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:36 pm 
Noxius

So, myself and my partner split a Ludus Ultimus pledge between us and got to have our first game over the weekend. The game was a rather disorganized affair, with what we passed off as an arena actually being a piece of area terrain for wargaming. The 'arena' was roughly a rectangle 25x20" with a large circular pit dominating the centre and four pillars near each of the corners.

We went for a small match since we just wanted to get a practice match in to familiarize ourself with the basics.

The match was my opponents Hermes & Infelix Vs. my Septimus & Noxius.

I won't go into great detail since it was a fairly quick and brutal match with not much in the way of highlights. Short version:

1) my opponent ran Infelix forward but didn't get into range.
2) I attacked with Noxius failing to do any damage due to counterattack.
3) Infelix did a bit of damage to Noxius and fatigued him by knocking him into a pillar (that reposition is great!).
4) Septimus managed to get two push results which landed Infelix in our oversized pit. At this point I wasn't sure if my opponent was supposed to gain favour for the lost points of the vitality track or if she missed out due to no actual damage being done. We decided that the favour should be generated, which in turn meant I generated the same amount due to Septimus' ability.
5) Hermes pushed Septimus into the pit to join Infelix.
6) Noxius lived up to his reputation by sneaking up behind Hermes and shoving him into the pit as well, leaving him the last man standing.

So basically, the massive pit claimed the lives of three of our four gladiators. Power attacks using 2x favour for each ensured that my push attempts both resulted in kills, while my opponent used 2x favour to finish Septimus who was teetering on the edge of the pit already.

I think for our next test game we'll use an arena with a less pronounced pit and a bit more open space as the massive pit was never more than a few inches away from the gladiators.

I'm sure we made some mistakes, and didn't use the clear turn abilities (though I won the match and was the only one who took a clear turn, so it probably would not have mattered) and didn't use ludus-specific tactics either. Next time around we'll use 3-4 gladiators each and the rest of the rules, so hopefully it will be a little bit bloodier and play out less like a warner brothers cartoon.

All things considered, it was an enjoyable game and i'm looking forward to the next!

I posted a slightly expanded (including pic of the 'arena') version of the above on my blog for any interested. Will be posting more in depth reports and hobby progress as it happens there as well.

http://thesonsofloki.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/arena-rex-match-001.html