Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: First run at the game
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:11 am 
Noxius

So today was my first game of Arena Rex.

I loved it.

Jake, Kevin, and I played a 3v3v3 match, muddling through the rules for the first time. I had read them once, as had Jake, and Kevin had watched the game play video. I selected three warriors from the Morituri faction, Kevin picked three from the Legio XIII, and Jake picked three of the blood brothers.

Without going into too much detail at the moment, since I'm on a tablet and not a full size keyboard (I'll write up a more complete report and add it as a comment to this thread tomorrow) there are a few things we felt needed clarification, though perhaps we just missed them:

Disengagement needs a bit of clarification - if a model tried to move out of melee range, is there a difficulty to this? Also, is there a difference between a model activating and attempting to move out of melee range, and a model getting to reposition (like Frigge) with an ability?

The turn sequence wording might be a little clearer, as for the first half of the game we were clearing a fatigue token every time a model activated - we eventually got it right when we figured out that clear turns were supposed to happen more frequently.

Just having a few examples would be nice, i.e. Micon throwing models around and the different possibilities of outcomes.

Speaking of pushes, does pushing an enemy model into another model, friendly or enemy, do anything special? They don't currently count as hazards, but I'd imagine getting tossed into another gladiator covered in armor and pointy bits wouldn't be all that pleasant.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but we were having a ball and I look forward to the next games eagerly!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:38 am 
Crudus

halon wrote:
Speaking of pushes, does pushing an enemy model into another model, friendly or enemy, do anything special? They don't currently count as hazards, but I'd imagine getting tossed into another gladiator covered in armor and pointy bits wouldn't be all that pleasant.

There is currently a rule for what happens if you push an opposing gladiator in one of your friendly gladiators, though I don't know by heart what the result was. I think, it was an additional net success.
But it's in the rules.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:26 am 
Noxius

There's a Legio 13 tactic that lets all your gladiators count as Hazards for the purpose of being pushed into but it does cost 3 favour and only lasts 'till your next clear turn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:51 am 
Noxius

halon wrote:
Disengagement needs a bit of clarification - if a model tried to move out of melee range, is there a difficulty to this? Also, is there a difference between a model activating and attempting to move out of melee range, and a model getting to reposition (like Frigge) with an ability?

From what I've seen, there's no difficulty of moving out of melee range. The only thing you may run into is a Reaction: Opportunity Attack should you declare ANY type of move action within an enemies melee range. That said, based on my current understanding, that would not apply to a reposition effect or a follow up from a push as I believe it only applies when triggered by the ACTION: MOVE. Either way, it could use a bit of clarification imho...

halon wrote:
The turn sequence wording might be a little clearer, as for the first half of the game we were clearing a fatigue token every time a model activated - we eventually got it right when we figured out that clear turns were supposed to happen more frequently.

hmmm, I was also under the impression that at the start of your turn you could remove a single fatigue token from a model, but that model couldn't activate that turn, although he would be then free to react during an opponent's turn. In my test games, clear turns only came about after a round of heavy reactions, where a whole side would end up fatigued or exhausted. I'll have to look into the turn sequence a bit closer...

halon wrote:

So far, pushing an enemy into another enemy has no effect, but pushing an enemy into another friendly grants an extra successful hit against the target. There are some special rules and abilities that modify this...

http://www.nerdsvsninjas.blogspot.com - a humble blog about gaming and other nerdy stuff...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:57 pm 
Noxius

Thanks for the interpretations so far, all - everything you guys said makes sense. One thing about the fatigue tokens is that we learned quickly that if a model was ready, and at some point before his activation he Reacts to an enemy action, he can still activate when it's his chance to do so because he started the turn Ready. He'd only get the one action, but sometimes that was enough.

Also, there may be a viable tactic in small games of 3v3 in letting your other gladiators do a little damage but keeping the third fresh - when you're the last man standing, and every turn becomes a clear turn, you become a wrecking machine, particularly if you can generate favor dice by attacking. I had Tiet Khibi last for three or four turns with one box of vitality left because every attack was a power attack with two favor dice - I killed two characters like that, generating two favor dice each time, and though she eventually fell, she definitely went out like a champ. I can only imagine how scary someone like Micon or Hermes would be in the same situation.