Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:05 pm 
Noxius

Now don't get me wrong, I've yet to actually play a game (roll on Thursday...unless junior decides to arrive...in which case I'll have to wait until the wife gives me permission to go back down the club...) but I've read the Beta-test releases several times.

After falling in love with almost all of the models/characters I set about trying to decide what 5 models to take in that first game. Then I asked me mate which paper models he wanted me to make up for him and I got to thinking...

With the option to take whatever you want is there not a risk that players will end up taking the same models on both sides in a lot of the games?

If/when the more viable (notice I didn't use the dreaded 'B' word...) models start to become apparent, is there not a risk that players will simply choose them every game?

For example (this is not based on anything, it's just an example) it becomes common knowledge that Hermes is a very powerful model so I take him every game no matter what. My opponent also notices how powerful he is and so he takes him as well. I play a lot of games and find Thoth to be very good. My opponent fines the same....etc.

Eventually we end up playing almost mirror like forces (give or take a couple of models).

Is this a potential problem? Are my worries based on a complete lack of games? (be kind...)

Anyway, the thought I had on force selection (hence the thread title...) was that players must choose a Ludus that represents the majority of their models. 75% of their force is then generated randomly from that Ludus (using a table in the book). This could be seen to represent the Gladiators that are fit to fight and therefore available to player. The remaining 25% can then be chosen freely by the player.

Thoughts?

It would encourage players to buy more models...;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:32 pm 
Noxius

Well, with some few exceptions I think we've got multiple models that fill similar roles. There's a handful of spear wielding support models, a few retarii and so on. Essentially each of these categories contains a few versions (Infelix, Vargr and Tiet Khebi all perform the light two weapon slasher role but in their own way).

What I'd suggest is that, in order to avoid duplication, simply try out the variants and versions. You might want to sort out some house rule for how you go about picking them. Take turns etc. If both of you pick the same gladiator then why don't you set that one aside and "fight" for them? So the desired gladiator could be the prize of the first bout. Have a quick game. Winner takes the gladiator you both want etc. I'm feeling that this can play quite quickly so you can get two or three games in a single sitting so you could even take it in turns.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:32 pm 
Noxius

This was a concern of mine as well, a bit surprised it didn't work like most games with point costs which some units more valuable that others. A few games I have played with the same idea ended up with a dull and static nature of force building. But I withhold judgement until I play a few dozen games.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:05 pm 
Noxius

I could see Gaius Pallidus making it into a majority of people's lists as he's the only "healer" I see thus far...

Personally, I plan to play a Ludus-specific force, and will advocate others in my area to do so as well. In a majority of my games I may use the same Ludus Magnus models, but that will be because they are my favorite models, not necessarily the "best". That said, I do plan on owning a majority (if not all) of the Magnus models, along with the beasts as well. (oh who am I kidding, my addiction will probably kick in and I'll at least own 5-man from each faction)

Playtesting will tell if an actual "All Star" list of the most powerful models will have enough synergy to work against a list following the 75/25 rule. Otherwise, I'd totally support the "list being 75% of a single faction" rule being made mandatory...

http://www.nerdsvsninjas.blogspot.com - a humble blog about gaming and other nerdy stuff...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:11 am 
Noxius

Another option RRG may look at, if this becomes a significant problem, is to instead offer ludus rewards to 100% pure lists, nothing for the 75% rule, and a penalty for sub 75%...

Yet another option would be to make an ally chart like 40k (as a quick example: perhaps Legio and BB work better together, as do Magnus and Morituri, thematically and/or geographically...) which would determine ludus rewards/penalties.

This way it would allow RRG to focus on synergy amongst each ludus, instead of worrying so much if power players find a combination from all 4 that makes too strong of a force. Players may reconsider taking Gaius along with some BB berserkers and Morituri bleeders if they have a penalty of some sort. This could be favour limiters, or, if an ally chart was implemented, not allowing gladiators from mutually hated factions to assist each other.

Maybe I am complicating it too much, but I too am more interested in fluff and cinematics than pure power gaming so anything that can be done to create balance AND cohesion in the game and its fluff is a win-win in my eyes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:07 am 
Noxius

alladin the paladin wrote:
Players may reconsider taking Gaius along with some BB berserkers and Morituri bleeders if they have a penalty of some sort.

I'd like to see the Moritori Bleed tactic work on Moritori gladiators only so they can't use it on geust fighters. That being said Bjarrhvit, Vargr, Sven & Frigge (with the addition of Gaius) looks pretty powerful. They also look like a paper tiger. I can see them taking damage at a rate of knots with their low defence and armour if Frigge can't reach her brothers to protect them. Bjarrhvit locking down reactions and Gaius healing looks like a good combination.

I'd like to get a few test games in first before passing judgement on these opinions as I suspect there's some other really good combinations out there too (such as Hermes, Aquila and Ban Luca, or even just MIcon and Ban Luca. That's got to be effective).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:08 am 
Noxius

Simple reply to original post; variety is the spice of life!

Gonna get bored using the same models, switch it up!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:19 am 
Noxius

TheDudeD09 wrote:
Simple reply to original post; variety is the spice of life!

Gonna get bored using the same models, switch it up!

Problem with this is that lots of people don't get "bored" with the same models. If they ready on the Internet that models X + Y + Z = insta win, they will abuse this until rules get changed, and them move to the next big thing.

This balance issue is a problem with most game systems from what I hear, so there's not much that can ultimately be done except try and tweak as best as you can.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:13 pm 
Noxius

Cheers for the interest.

Seems other people have the same concerns.

I'm against using House Rules as it causes issues should I take part in/organise a tournament so I'd follow the official line whatever it ended up being.

Maybe the randomly generated models could be reduced to 50% of the force so as to not be too controlling?

Also, are there any plans to limit the amount of medium or large base models (other than the 2 for 1 rule on Titans)?