Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: First Games
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:37 pm 
Noxius

Today me and my mate played 2 games, a 3v3 and then a 5v5.

Firstly, RRG great job, the game played so much more fun than I even expected, great laugh, great fun.
I also found that my list of wanted models has changed dramatically already, eg, really wasn't a fan of Micon, now, Oh My God throwing people around in the arena is so much fun. Bjhavit (I forget the spelling) was one of my favourites, now, not such a fan. Mago (my 100% fav) did not disappoint however!

In terms of terrain, there was a little pushing into columns, and one death pit threat but actually it didn't really play a big part in either of the games, I think to try and change this in future we'll start the models a little further apart around the edge of the arena, rather then bunching up into a team on either side.

Marcus, sweet Jesus that guy I do not like. I had 2 models engaging a hurt Lupa, and he came out from behind a column, one shotted, went back, then one shotted next turn again (litterally like, full health models if not only taken 1/2 damage before Marcus hit).I don't know, possible nerf needed, similar to lupa (only reason I cant complain is because she whacked a model to less than half health in one hit and after that I just shoved her into a pillar and got 2 models against her).

Really as well, power attacks, alone, a nice pay off for exhaustion, when paired up with other model effects, good god these can be a little crazy...

Need to finish cutting and sticking to try out some more models and stuff, and just generally more play, but these are my initial thoughts.

Regardless, this game is just so much fun. Great job. :mrgreen:

Oh also, how do you guys keep track of vitality? On these play test cards I guess they're a little throw away so its cool to write and rub on them, but with the 'real' models cards, like, how do you keep track without destroying them?
(I used a spare piece of paper).

Post subject: Re: First Games
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:51 pm 
Noxius

For the cards, put them in a clear deck sleeve (for card games) and use a dry-erase marker to chart damage. Just rub the marker off afterwards and you are good to go for next game!

http://www.nerdsvsninjas.blogspot.com - a humble blog about gaming and other nerdy stuff...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:08 pm 
Noxius

Thanks for the tip, actually quite a smart one, might get them laminated... and as for some characters being a bit OP and power attacks being stupidly strong, turns out we were using the fatigue recovery system wrong! Will see how it works on Thursday when we have another games day.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:05 pm 
Noxius

Sounds like a laugh.

Couple of questions though,
What makes Maco so good? Was it his Entangle ability?
Why did you find Marcus (Furius?) so powerful? He looks quite average Attack wise (ATK4) and little armour, but could generate Favor quite often. I've made him up to use on Thursday so I'll probably find out anyway. Maybe give me some hints on how to use him... ;)

As for Vitality tracking, I am a big advocate of small wound dice. The problem I have with marking the card is you often struggle to remember which of your opponents models are wounded and to what degree. I know plenty of people prefer the marking method and each to their own but I personally hate it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:22 pm 
Noxius

Oh man was really good. You not gotten round to playing any yet? I'm still cutting and sticking but, I wanted them to be a bit more rigid so have been putting card in the centre of the paper and also card bases, its a labour of love :roll:

Mago wasn't necessarily 'really good,' more he played well and since he was already my favourite from the art work he could remain my favourite! Entangle was useful to a degree, and combined with his 'upon death' ability, its sort of a good idea to grab as many enemies as you can, because if he does die, your opponent is going to lose alot of favour. He has quite a varied tree anyway.

Marcus was probably alot better than he should have been given the way we were using fatigue rules incorrectly. But basically, with his reposition early in his tree, he was very good at storming in, power attacking, dishing out mass amounts of damage and then running away. And your opponent can't do anything about it really because of his swift ability, meaning you can't make and reactions.

However, he'd then be screwed, within someone's move range and doesn't really have any form of defence (0arm).

Yeah I don't really have any small dice, I have a few D20's/ 10's but they're way too large. It's really not bad marking on paper/on cards if your communicating with your opponent, they should really have the courtesy to answer you when you ask. I think some kind of small clip might be a good test, that you can put on the bottom of the card and slide along, you know one that's strong enough to grip but not to damage.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:28 am 
Noxius

Maybe marking the card could work better in Arena Rex. I may be comparing it unfavourably to my experience in Malifaux.

Really like the clip idea, never thought of that before. Will try a small paperclip or something.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:17 pm 
Noxius

Regarding damage tracking, I will probably make a sheet up that you can write your cohorts names in, and it will have boxes premise so you just shade out the ones that don't apply (20 boxes, shade out 10 for Ban Luca, for ex) and then write a small F for favour boxes... Then just scratch out as you go...

...I guess with Gaius in play, this would be annoying, however.... Perhaps back to the drawing board...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:24 pm 
Noxius

alladin the paladin wrote:
Regarding damage tracking, I will probably make a sheet up that you can write your cohorts names in, and it will have boxes premise so you just shade out the ones that don't apply (20 boxes, shade out 10 for Ban Luca, for ex) and then write a small F for favour boxes... Then just scratch out as you go...

...I guess with Gaius in play, this would be annoying, however.... Perhaps back to the drawing board...

You could just use a sheet of graph paper (like in old school maths books). Then you can mark the tracks quite easily, write in the F's, and then if you mark off boxes in pencil you could always rub it out if there's any healing going on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm 
Noxius

For the record, in all of my above posts switch Marcus with Infelix. Yeah my brain wasn't working so hot... :oops: