Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Making Sense of Terrain
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:31 am 
Noxius

So after rereading the rules and playing one game with no terrain, I realize terrain is definitely a necessity with this game.

The rules suggest "at least two pits and a good mix of spikes and hazards".

My biggest question is: How big should your terrain be? Is there a "standard" size for a pit? How about a column?

Also, I understand the effect of spikes, but what are they exactly? Just random spikes on the ground? Can they only be on walls?

I'm also curious to see if the rules get complex enough to allow interacting with/using the terrain. Would be fun to try to push over a column onto an opponent or leap over a pit to attack an enemy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:43 am 
Noxius

I'm guessing spikes can be small areas on the ground or mounted onto columns.

I'd like to see some rules for lions - either chained to a post of running free!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:49 am 
Crudus

I think that rules for free roaming animals will come with the addition of the lion titan-figure.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:40 am 
Noxius

I would imagine that they haven't played enough to actually know what good sizes for terrain is. I think that would be very very hard to determine without a lot of playtesting. I think its something that as a group we should figure out and make some recommendations for.

My two immediate thoughts for pit size is 2" by 3" and 1.5" by 2". I think a mix of 2 to 4 of those pits. with maybe between 3 and 5 columns, with spikes to taste spread around the columns and walls on a 30" diameter circle will work well with a lot of play in the terrain pieces. Though maybe that configuration will make pieces like Micon and Zahra too powerful.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:22 am 
Noxius

The insta-death pits can be abused most easily, and having too many of these can make for a short (and lopsided, depending on the cohort) game.

The game mechanics allow for a lot of potential house rules, which on one hand is really good but sometimes I prefer a fair amount of structure.

I think for a 30" arena more than 3 insta death pits would be overkill.... If they were evenly spaced it would give only 10" spaces between pits, and with really mobile gladiators that is more than enough to ensure fairly consistent access to insta-death options

I think 1 or 2 pits will be the basis of my play testing for now...