Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Rules: Kill Joy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:54 am 
Noxius

Now I don't want to be a kill joy here, but I thought I would raise this:

The play test PDFs are up on the forums (link given to us by Nick) meaning anyone who joins the forum, or simply searches them will be able to find and download them. In terms of the more the merrier, fantastic-more eyes to see it, more games to be tested, better game.

On the other hand, access to the play test PDFs was actually something that only got unlocked at Ludus level. Meaning 46 kickstarter backers and anyone stumbling on to the forum if gaining our semi 'exclusive' access.

I on one hand think, that's fine, lets get it the best we can. But equally it does sit a little un easy with me... thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Rules: Kill Joy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:49 am 
Noxius

Yes and no. In all honesty it looks like the people that are active on this forum at the moment are the same that were active during the kickstarter.

In the end it may be good, as those of us playtest the game and will probably introduce others through doing so.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:18 pm 
Noxius

I also have to say that personally I have limited options for who to test this with, there are two other people in the GTA who I would need to travel a couple hours to play with so setting the play test up not to be shared makes it a lot less likely to be tested I think.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:21 pm 
Noxius

I agree that the rules and other downloads should have been kept for those who made the pledge on Kickstarter (hence, why they were sent out in an email today) but as there is no-one anywhere near me who also made a pledge, I would have to share a copy of the rules pdf with someone in order to playtest. Now, my brother was interested in the AR kickstarter, but unfortunately did not have the money readily available in order to make pledge. I would have no problem with giving him a copy of the pdf's so that we could playtest the rules - and by that, I mean give him an actual physical copy rather than a pdf so that he cannot forward it on to other people.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:48 pm 
Noxius

100% agree with the fact that we all need to share the rules with near by friends in order to actually play the game, once given to us, we can play with who we want, it was more an actual stranger to the game stumbling onto the site and getting access to them.

I mean if it were a video game it would be labelled 'beta' and we would all have a code, obviously it doesn't work like that with a board/miniatures game, however the 'exclusivity' in that sense seems to have been lost.

I personally have no problem playing the game with friends, I mean this week I plan to play it with about 4 of them! However its going to by my print outs, which I have access to.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:58 pm 
Founder of the Republic

This is something we discussed many times internally leading up to the release. Mechanisms were already in place to restrict the files if we decided to go that route. The long and short of it, though, is that:

1. The people registering for the forums were folks that were already pledged, either through Kickstarter or PayPal (so if you don't recognize a name, that might be the case)
  2. We wanted the files to be easily accessible to everyone who should have access to them.
  3. We also didn't want people with no other local backers to be unable to take advantage of the playtest -- so if you want to test it out with your friends, please do.

In the end, we wanted to avoid keeping backers out more than we wanted to avoid letting their friends in. There might be a couple of freeloaders in the short term, but you'll still get the models before they do, and chances are they're here because you (or someone like you) told them about it. I hope knowing the rationale behind the decision helps it rest easier with you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:45 pm 
Noxius

Completely fair rationale. Nice to see it was thought about for sure, just wondered really :)