Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Should Lupa's faction be changed to a wild card?
No 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Yes 88%  88%  [ 15 ]
Total votes: 17
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:41 pm 
Noxius

I think Lupa really doesn't fit the Magnus team theme. She looks like a barbarian savage who ends lives. She is the only Magnus fighter that doesn't represent a classic gladiator archetype. She is one the only ones not to have a mask. It's just an odd fish that she be Magnus.

Secondly, I put forth the idea that most of us are getting her. She is the add on kickstarter exclusive, yet not all of us will pick Magnus as our main faction. Should not we all be able to use our lovely wolf skinned barbarian?

Thus, I put forth that she should have her faction changed to a wild card status, and be able to work for all factions without penalty.

Why is it not meat?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:47 am 
Noxius

I too was kind of surprised she was in the Magnus faction, I honestly expected her to be faction-less (is that a word?) as well.

I voted "yes", but it doesn't bother me either way, given the current Cohort/Ludus rules. Still, to me, she feels/looks like a mix of all the factions in one model. Given that, and the exclusivity of the model, faction-less would be a good fit imo.

http://www.nerdsvsninjas.blogspot.com - a humble blog about gaming and other nerdy stuff...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:41 pm 
Noxius

Has anyone tried using her in a game? She seems rather underwhelming.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:49 pm 
Noxius

I haven't played with her yet, but locally the consensus is that she's a beast.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:13 pm 
Noxius

You raise a very good point. I dont think it matters in say, a 3v3 game though as either way you could only be 66% and in a 5v5 youd still be 80%.

As for how well she plays. I've seen her both hit and miss, but its like that with all gladiators as the game is nice and brutal. She does have great potential to just wam-bam people, which I have seen slaughter people.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:51 am 
Noxius

beoveld wrote:
Has anyone tried using her in a game? She seems rather underwhelming.

I used her once in a 5v5, she kind of sat out of combat for 90% of game as I was focused on the main melee. Eventually I was like "Oh yeah, she looks bored...CHARGE!" and she was able to finish off a gladiator or two. She finished off some guys, but in general I'd say it was my other 4 gladiators that were running the show that game. Needless to say, I dropped her from my 5v5 in favor of a utility piece...

http://www.nerdsvsninjas.blogspot.com - a humble blog about gaming and other nerdy stuff...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:08 am 
Noxius

Lupa isn't quite scary enough for the Caveat Emptor rule as it is, imo, but I'd rather see it under utilized then overpowered. As far as her power relative to others, I think that depends on how you use her. My trick with Lupa is to power attack everytime. This give you a free favor die at the expense of being exhausted. However, all you need is 3 net successes and you can use your reposition to break off and to gain back the fatigue, which makes the attack the same as a normal attack, fatigue wise. If you want to, and you have more than 3 successes, you go for max damage instead. I think that she is a great, versatile, brawler. Her tricks don't play as well with others as some of her fellow gladiators, but she is a good fighter in her own right.

As far as having her be a wild card, I am torn. As a said above, she would fit into any Ludus because she doesn't have abilities or a damage tree that really plays off others. However, I like Lupa's backstory and her connection to the legend of Rome's founding and I don't really want to see those things changed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:29 am 
Noxius

Well Spoken Man wrote:
This give you a free favor die at the expense of being exhausted. However, all you need is 3 net successes and you can use your reposition to break off and to gain back the fatigue, which makes the attack the same as a normal attack, fatigue wise.

Not to derail the topic, but are you sure you can do that? I've always been on the fence in regards to removing the fatigue from an exhausted model after a reposition since the rules under exhaustion say "you may only remove fatigue from an exhausted model during a clear turn".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:10 pm 
Noxius

I'm not sure if that's been covered yet, but you should toss that up in the questions forum!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:20 pm 
Noxius

I was under the impression that that only meant you couldn't fatigue down from exhaustion with the free one you get at the start of each turn, but it wasn't explicitly said that way so I could be wrong.

EDIT:
Back to the point of Lupa, one of the main reasons she seems so underwhelming to me is that instead of her, you could take Urien, and get roughly equal stats and damage track, and instead of a drawback ability get better positioning with Momentum.

For a Kickstarter exclusive, I was hoping she'd be better. Not that I'm looking for someone overpowered, I'd just like it if the reward figure wasn't so easily replaceable.