Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:26 pm 
Viridis

One thing that struck me when reading the rules was that I think that the classification of model types is not very intuitive.

It is simple enough, in principle, but at the same time a bit convoluted. A model is a gladiator, unless it is a beast or a titan. Being either of those makes the model stop being a gladiator. And so a model can be a beast and a titan at the same time, but it can never be a gladiator and a titan at the same time.

I get the rule (assuming that the above is indeed the rule), but I don't see why "gladiator" has to be a calculated value (where the calculation is "not a beast or titan" = "gladiator").

Why not just print "gladiator" as a model type on the card?

I guess I see the potential for the rule to be as simple as "a model is any model type that it says on its card". So if you wonder which of your models are gladiators, you just look at your cards for the word "gladiator", rather than having to look for the absence of the words "beast" or "titan".

Partly this is inspired by the gorgons. It seems odd to me that Stheno and Medusa have no model type or symbol at all on their card, which means that they are unaligned gladiators. Having to deduce that from an absence of any indication of anything feels odd. It also feels odd that Euryale cannot be a gladiator like her sisters, because she is a titan. Is there some important reason that she could not in theory be both?

Somewhat related to this, "Singular" seems like the least elegant rule in the game so far that I have seen. I get the point of it, but I feel like the issue should be handled somewhere in the main rules. Like that it should simply be a generic rule that unaligned gladiators only count as a single unaligned model for the purposes of ludus benefits, regardless of how many stages they have. The only reason that Euryale doesn't have it, after all, is that she doesn't count as any unaligned models since she is a titan and not a gladiator, as it happens.

As for how the card could be laid out... I'm thinking that the simplest thing would just be to add the model type to the left of the ludus symbol on the right hand side of the card's model identifier line. So instead of just having the ludus symbol there, it would say "gladiator" and then the ludus symbol. Or "titan" and then the ludus symbol, if you some day are crazy enough to make a titan that is part of a ludus. Or just "titan" or "beast" without any ludus symbol, like all the current titans and beasts have it.

Just some thoughts and ideas for the rule suggestion forum.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:34 am 
Crudus

I agree with the point that the type of gladiator should be stated on the model card.
Having the potential of having a Gorgon-gladiator or a titan-gladiator or a beast-gladiator makes a lot of things easy (coming from playing Malifaux, I am quite used to having these "identifiers" or "modeltypes")