Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:31 am 
Noxius

Good morning!

Yesterday 5 of us had a day playing some Arena Rex, so here are some questions, suggestions and random thoughts.

'OP' was thrown around alot throughout the day, main targets:
Gaius- Healing ability.
Ban-Luca- Stall tactic. 4 ARM.
Zahra-Lash ability.

A very large problem occurred during one of our games in which Ban-Luca hugged Gaius who was being defended by 2 other models, all within 3 inches. Ban-Luca used her reaction EVERY turn, and was cleared of her fatigue every turn. The two front models would deal damage and when they were fatigued up, the clear turn came, and any damage they had taken was removed. Seriously, it was just disgustingly perfect. The game wasn't even fun for either side.

Also any game Gaius was in, that side won with relatively low damage on all models.

A question regarding Zahra, her lash and move, does she have to follow up with a move herself? If so is it like Micon where she can move where she wants 1" (unlike Micon) or can she just stand there, or does she have to move towards the model?

Opportunity attack: -This is when a model declares a move in your melee range. Does this discount Zahra from using her lash on a model who declares a move in her 5" range since the game is 100% melee combat, and thats her reach?
-We also found that there was alot of micro management movement going on at times, just to get a better position on a model you were already attacking, in this situation it seemed logical to Op Atk to gain a bonus success and then defend, rather then Count Atk in which you just use your attacking dice. This however seemd odd because an opponent moving around you isnt going to turn his back, so there isn't really and opportunity despite it being the better option for the defending model. Seems like it needs to be re worded.

When pushing and following up, if you push someone into a pit, do you have to follow up so your next to the pit? or if your say 1/2" away from your opponent, get a push (his base touches the pit) he goes in, your now 1+1/2" away from the pit with no opponent. Do you have to then follow up, or can you just stay there because hey, who wants to get any closer to it?

Finally! A suggestion regarding terrain placement. we could only play on a table, and had no walls really (but we all got a bit stuck in) and the terrain was set up as a diamond of pillars, and on the left and right pillar facing the middle were pits. This worked so so well. It wasn't intrusive, but it played a part. Give it a try, was good.

Oh RRG, people friking love this game :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:30 am 
Noxius

Interesting stuff.

In regards to the model stuff, I may have to try out the Legio models again. In my 3v3 games, Gaius didn't seem all that potent, as I tend to focus-fire targets which minimized the benefit of his healing. When I get up to 5v5, I'll have to try him out again. The difference of a 5v5 may make quite a bit of difference.

Ban-Luca, yeah I find her ARM 4 just a point too high, especially when you look at her other stats. Imho, if you want her to keep her ARM to be 2x as high as the average 2, I think her DEF should suffer at least a point. She's gotta pay for that heavy armor somewhere! Luckily, it sounds like things may get shuffled around with her in the future. In regards to her reaction, I admit in my 3v3's it never came up as I was still trying to grasp all the movement possibilities. Another thing I want to make sure I try in a 5v5.

Interesting tidbit you found about Zahra's lash and opportunity attack. Yeah, in the rules it mentions a 1" melee range for everyone, yet she engages models at 5". Rules as Worded wise, I'm not sure how to handle it. This could use some official clarification imho...

Finally, in regards to the push and follow up, it says the attacker *may* move so it seems optional.

http://www.nerdsvsninjas.blogspot.com - a humble blog about gaming and other nerdy stuff...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:41 pm 
Noxius

I found Ban-Luca pretty strong. 4 armor you need 2-3 hits to damage her. I hope they keep her armor 4 and tweek her in other areas if they make changes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:30 pm 
Noxius

A note about Ban Luca. It's not clear if you know this or not, so I apologize if this is redundant, but her 4 Arm cannot owner the damage from an attack below 1. Any successful attack does at least 1 damage, according to the rules.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:02 am 
Noxius

Quote:
Any successful attack does at least 1 damage, according to the rules.

Hey he's not wrong you know, p8 under Vitality Track.
Quote:
If a successful attack would be reduced to less than 1 damage by the defender's ARM, it does one damage.

So basically, if you beat them in the rolling, regardless of ARM, your doing 1 damage minimum. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:52 am 
Noxius

TheDudeD09 wrote:
Quote:
Any successful attack does at least 1 damage, according to the rules.

Hey he's not wrong you know, p8 under Vitality Track.
Quote:
If a successful attack would be reduced to less than 1 damage by the defender's ARM, it does one damage.

So basically, if you beat them in the rolling, regardless of ARM, your doing 1 damage minimum. :oops:

Man, that just feels a bit odd. (Possibly due to the wording)

It's per attack, right, not per box? Example: If Ban-Luca gets attacked, the attacker rolls 2 successes, and in the damage tree the attacker chooses two "2 Damage" boxes. Ban-Luca's ARM 4 reduces it to zero damage, but she still takes 1 damage per the above rule? Or is it per box, where she'd take 2 damage, 1 per box chosen, despite her ARM reducing each to 0 damage?

Just trying to make sure I'm grasping it...

http://www.nerdsvsninjas.blogspot.com - a humble blog about gaming and other nerdy stuff...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:18 am 
Noxius

To be honest WuWawBe, not 100% sure, still half waiting for RRG to hit this post up to clarify a few things :roll:

From the wording there though I'd say -1 vitality. Eg Noxious gets one net success, hits first box doing 4 damage, Ban-Lucas ARM takes that to 0, meaning she loses 1 vitality... I think...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:21 pm 
Noxius

Quote:
From the wording there though I'd say -1 vitality. Eg Noxious gets one net success, hits first box doing 4 damage, Ban-Lucas ARM takes that to 0, meaning she loses 1 vitality... I think...

That's how I understand it. She is still quite hard to kill, with a Vitality of 10, but she can be whittled down. Also, you might as well push her around, since you are only going to do one damage anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:03 pm 
Founder of the Republic

Damage is applied as a lump sum at the end. Two successes that result in a "2", "2", would total to 4, reduce by ARM (in Ban-Luca's case, 4-4=0), then:
Playest v1, p.8 wrote:

End result, 1 damage.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:13 pm 
Noxius

Thanks Walker, any clarification on my original post regarding opportunity attacks ect?