It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Tournament Rules
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:46 am 
Crudus

Hej everyone,

I am currently thinking about certain questions regarding a tournament:

1.) How to solve the "finish this round" - problem:
In tournaments, if the time for a round ends, the organizer often goes round, telling every table to finish the round and end the game then. In respect to Arena Rex, I was wondering whether it would be possible and sensible to tell everyone to play until the next Clear Turn or whether there is another possibilty for a fair determination for the end of the game if the time limit is near.

2.) How to solve victory points:
Will it just be victory points for killed gladiators? What about Titans? One VP per level of Titan killed?

3.) Would you introduce deadly traps?

4.) How to solve the problem of the last man standing just running away?
Would you shrink the arena? If so: Would you set something like a time-limit? Every 5 minutes, the arena shrinks 3 inches?

I am looking forward to your suggestions.

Post subject: Re: Tournament Rules
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:11 pm 
Noxius

Excuse the thread necro, but as I'd like to see some Arena Rex OP, I found the questions thought-provoking and worth answering. I do run some minis tournaments here in the UK so based on that experience and applying it to AR I'd say that -

1) I'd say play until the end of the current model's activation. AR is such a quick game that playing to time should rarely be an issue anyway, and as long as people know the time limit and you give regular updates on how long is left, then there shouldn't be an issue. Playing to the next clear turn could take some time, which will throw off the schedule.

2) It should be based on tabling your opponent. If it goes to time then most killed gladiators with titans counting for two.

3) Yes

4) By making the winner based on most kills if the game goes to time. If you're down to your last man and keep running away, then you're guaranteed to lose. Time will expire and you will have fewer kills. By making it most kills, you force a player to engage once they reach their last man as they have no other way of winning.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:25 am 
Crudus

No problem with the threat-necro here.
Thanks for the answers :).
Will help me run a tournament some day, hopefully.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:16 am 
Noxius

I completely agree, with kill count including titans/stages counting for more it should work itself out well enough.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:41 am 
Viridis

Yep, I agree with all the answers given here. Playing until the next clear turn specifically won't work, since clear turns are semi-optional, and you can play a whole game without any clear turns (before LMS anyway) if both players avoid them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:43 am 
Crudus

With the Inaugural Official Arena Rex Tournament happening in a month at Adepticon, I think/hope we will see some guidance on how to run our own tournaments soon.

I think the suggestions posted here are good and that official rules follow along these lines.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:28 am 
Noxius

The way I was thinking is adding a point system for kills. So if you run out of time whoever has the most points wins.

I'd love to have something like bonus points for defeating models via hazards or something like that as well. Hopefully the RRG guys will come up with something cool

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:46 pm 
Noxius

The thing to be wary of with things like adding extra points for certain kills is you'll change the way the game is played. In a variant format that's fine, but you want the main regular tournament format to map how the game is normally played. You could offer spot prizes for things like the first person to kill an opposing gladiator with a pit or a lion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:57 pm 
Noxius

I ran a smallish tournament a few months ago, and had the players play until total death or the hour timer was up (one more turn each when the clock struck).

I determined victor by giving 1 point for each enemy defeated, and losing 1 point for each of your models that was slain. But to make it more interesting, there were a bunch of achievements that persisted between rounds, like max out a damage tree, kill a gladiator with a hazard, kill an opponent with a counterattack, etc. Made the games a lot more fun! I hope RRG has something similar in mind.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:49 pm 
Noxius

Sheijtan wrote:
4.) How to solve the problem of the last man standing just running away?
Would you shrink the arena? If so: Would you set something like a time-limit? Every 5 minutes, the arena shrinks 3 inches?

Sorry to necro this, but its probably the most important thing to add to the game honestly. Particularly with the Move reaction its possible to play a very cagey game to stall out time. It would be cool to do something with Favor but that changes the way people play too much I suspect. Since there's already rules for controlling Duel Zones there's some ability to use them to force players into an area for scenario points, but I don't love that answer either.

I feel like some kind of sudden death rule is in order. I'd love some kind of "each side nominates one fighter for 1v1 chained to the center of the arena" or something like that, but it probably REALLY encourages stalling once you fall behind. I'm not totally sure what the right answer is, but I think its definitely a question to answer.