Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:32 am 
Noxius

Read through the rules this morning and found a few typos or things that did not make sense to me.

On page 5, under Reaction: Movement, the effect mentions SPD. I think this should be MOV, or SPD needs to be identified as a stat somewhere else in the rules.

On page 9, under Favor dice
Quote:
A success on a Favor die counts as two success! The attacker must first how many...
The second sentence is missing a verb. Maybe it should be "must first [state]..." or maybe it should be "note" or "say."

There were also several odd comma splices, but that is getting a bit nit picky for a draft.

I would also specifically define what a "Turn" is. Is a turn just I go? Is a turn I go you go? Is my turn end at the clear phase for me?
This is extremely important because of the rule on page 9
Quote:
Each model may spend up to two Favor dice a turn.
Since I can spend Favor dice on both my action and my opponent's action do I have to keep track of the favor dice I spend for each model until the Clear Turn? For instance: Say I am move Urbicus and make an attack using 2 Favor Dice in hopes of destroying my opponent, and end his activation (he is now fatigued). Then, my opponent attacks Urbicus, and I decide to Counterattack and really want to win, so I spend an additional Favor Dice and move to Exhausted. Then I move with someone else. Then my opponent comes in for the kill on Urbicus. He is exhausted and has spent at this point 3 Favor dice. I can not react because he is exhausted, but I still roll a defense roll. So, since I really want him to stay alive for some strategy I have in mind, I want to add two additional Favor dice in hopes of staying alive. If turns are just my activating a model, this is possible. If a "Turn" is I go you go, this is not. If a "Turn" is ended at a clear phase, then this is really not possible, and I would have to some how remember that I spent favor dice on models X Y Z but not on W and that could become confusing.

As for Organization, I think the layout is done fairly well. I like the general way that things are organized in more or less the order that it will come up in a turn. I do feel like a few things should be cross referenced. For instance, while it is an extremely small rule book, I think stating in the Combat section that Favor Dice can be added during Combat and Defense rolls may be helpful. You could simply simply state it like you stated in the Clear Phase Section.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:05 pm 
Noxius

Also, in the same sentence, "two successes"

And, a turn is effectively a single model's action, not a full army turn or a game round (which are two systems that don't exist in Arena Rex, unless I'm misunderstanding something), so, it would be 2 dice per model turn.

It says at the end of a turn, that it's your opponent's turn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:17 am 
Noxius

Though I'd post here rather than start a new thread. A couple of things I've picked up that arent clear

In the Stats document they have the Moritirui Tactic Bleed says loose 2 favour to gain 2 favour instead of loose 2 vitality

Also in the stats doc. Iason's ability Intervene could be re-written as it say may move 3" twice - once when he declears the assist and once when the attack has happened... which is it?

To the main rules doc.
When talking about Exhausted models does the extra push give the extra 1 damage?
In the turn structer is 1a & 1b an or situation or could I remove 1 fatigue THEN carry out a clear turn?
Tactics - is there a limit on how many you carry out? or how many times you do one tactic except the amount of favour dice you have
Passive tactics - do they start the game on? Or do you have to wait till your first clear turn to same I'm now using this

Deployment - eh! Not sure what they are saying here

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:46 pm 
Founder of the Republic

Lord Nat wrote:
In the Stats document they have the Moritirui Tactic Bleed says loose 2 favour to gain 2 favour instead of loose 2 vitality

Got this one...=)

Lord Nat wrote:
Also in the stats doc. Iason's ability Intervene could be re-written as it say may move 3" twice - once when he declears the assist and once when the attack has happened... which is it?

It's currently both.

Lord Nat wrote:
When talking about Exhausted models does the extra push give the extra 1 damage?

Yes. it's just like an extra push result inserted into the damage tree at any point.

Lord Nat wrote:
In the turn structer is 1a & 1b an or situation or could I remove 1 fatigue THEN carry out a clear turn?

It's an "or"

Lord Nat wrote:
Tactics - is there a limit on how many you carry out? or how many times you do one tactic except the amount of favour dice you have

The current plan (as I understand it) is to include any limits in the wording of the individual abilities. Otherwise they are repeatable.

Lord Nat wrote:
Passive tactics - do they start the game on? Or do you have to wait till your first clear turn to same I'm now using this

Passive tactics start "on."

Lord Nat wrote:
Deployment - eh! Not sure what they are saying here

Still working on that one. What makes sense for one arena might not make sense for all others. The intent of the current deployment wording is to place all of your gladiators along a 12" strip at the edge of the arena directly opposite your opponent's, and to alternate placement.

The wording on all of these are flagged for review for the next round. Thanks for your input!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:29 pm 
Noxius

thanks for the reply RRG_Walker, good to know

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:58 am 
Crudus

I think, I will just post this one under here:
In my opinion, you should not link the video with a youtube link in the Playtest. It should be the Arena Rex Homepage. Maybe you can implement the video there and share that link. Looks more consistent to me then.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:54 am 
Noxius

Quote:
When a model has no remaining unmarked boxes on its Vitality Track, it is destroyed.

I remember destroying enemy soldiers as an euphemism used by today's military. But Arena Rex is not about (modern) warfare, so I perceive this wording as slightly misplaced. I'd prefer "... it is defeated.". This also retains the possibility of the Gladiator actually surviving, which is very important for player immersion when fielding him/her again in a later battle.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:45 am 
Noxius

Perhaps the term "incapacitated" would fit better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:50 am 
Noxius

Destroyed means that the model is removed off the table. If you said incapacitated then you'd get people saying that the model is still on the table to be healed. Again defeated leaves the interpretation to the model being left on the table.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:17 am 
Noxius

Lord Nat wrote:
Destroyed means that the model is removed off the table. If you said incapacitated then you'd get people saying that the model is still on the table to be healed. Again defeated leaves the interpretation to the model being left on the table.

I see your point. However arguing that the gladiators likely survive (otherwise you cannot "forge a narrative") the term destroyed is too absolute in my eyes.

One can assume the arena has numerous slaves waiting to grab and drag incapacitated gladiators out of harms way, like rodeo clowns do today...

Writing it it as "...once the vitality bar is full, the model is incapacitated and removed off the table" would accomplish both ends, I feel.