Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: LoS and Terrain
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:08 pm 
Noxius

I think there needs to be a basic statement covering line of sight.

Why? Because:

- Models like Zahra have a large engagement range that could easily be impeded by terrain.
- A 10" tall wall between two models is still a10" tall wall, even if it's only 1" thick.
- Some effects might be more balanced if they required some form of LoS.

I'm not saying we need pages and pages covering angles and heights and all that. I also don't like true line of sight in any game that is likely to see conversions and scenic bases (Bolt Action, fine, Malifaux not so fine).

Firstly, I don't think models should block LoS. Initially I did, but then I realised that models aren't static, they move around and pick their moments. Now, likewise, if an attacker targets a defender who is hiding behind a pillar, it stands to reason the attacker would easily get around the pillar. But the point about the wall stands, and I think once AR is released we're going to see some funky arenas (labyrinth anyone?) LoS may seem to only affect a few models, and a handful of rare situations, but it's worth nipping in the bud now to save the inevitable confusion that will ensue when those situations do occur (and they will).

So I think that if a model targets another model it must be able to draw a line from centre base to centre base without touching any Blocking terrain (terrain that is wider than 2"? 3"?). It might even be a rule or ability for a Titan (or a large Jupiter) to act as Blocking Terrain. Speaking of Blocking Terrain, I think there should be classifications of terrain for future reference:

Hazardous Terrain - almost all terrain is Hazardous terrain
- Wounding Hazard
- Lethal Hazard
Blocking Terrain - a simple classification for any terrain the LoS rule applies to.
Elevated Terrain - This is going to pop up sooner or later. Still not sure how it should be handled (perhaps same as blocking terrain, only measured from the edge of the ET), but there should be sub-types that represent terrain tall enough that if you get pushed off you get fatigued/damaged/killed.

There might be even simpler, more abstract ways to handle LoS but what is clear is that it needs to be handled. Rather than getting in the way of the simple, non-ranged, up close and bloody combat of AR, it could provide some extra depth to arena layouts and model positioning.

Let me know what you guys think =]

Post subject: Re: LoS and Terrain
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:51 am 
Viridis

One thing I really have a hard time getting used to is all the sub-forums in the rules forum here. All the rules questions and discussions are so fragmented and hard to find.

So... because I am happy to see this old thread, I just wanted to mention here that I started a thread about the exact same topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38257

And people made some good arguments about how the game is designed to be played in an open gladiatorial arena. It's not meant to have "real" terrain features, and therefore there are no rules for them in the rulebook. "Hazards" aren't real terrain, they are just features that break up the arena floor, but that never block LOS.

Playing AR in a labyrinth seems like it could be super fun. It's just not something the current rules support. Walls and elevation don't exist in the game as it currently stands.

So... I'm thinking this would be cool expansion potential. :) Like how Blood Bowl has Dungeonbowl as its labyrinth-based alternate game expansion. You never know.