Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:42 pm 
Founder of the Republic

Most of the playtest input has been driven by you guys so far, and it's been great. I'd like to propose an experiment to change that up for a bit. What I'd like to see is your best/worst lists -- the ones that you feel are way too strong, regardless of opposition, or way too weak, and can't seem to handle themselves in a fight.

My plan is to set up some additional testing for these combos, and see what the best solution is to adjusting the models that need it.

What I'd like from you:
Please give me your best and worst combos of 3, 5, and 8. They can be Ludus lists or mixed, and should take into account any Ludus abilities if relevant. I have included a preferred format in a code block at the end of the post -- if you aren't familiar with formatting options for the forum, copy/pasting it for formatting in your post will make it easier for us to get through them. ;)

If you have the time, please also try a couple of games swapping them with an opponent (i.e. you play A, they play Z, then they play Z, you play A). Please edit your posts to include any comments from these play sessions, rather than posting again in the thread -- it will be easier to track down that way. I've created a second thread for open discussion of the experiment, in order to keep this one as clean as possible (any posts not including lists will be moved to that thread).

Code:
[list][u][b]List 1[/b][/u] [i]Best[/i]
[*]Gladiator A (Ludus)
[*]Gladiator B (Ludus)
[*]Gladiator C (Ludus)[/list]

[list][u][b]List 2[/b][/u] [i]Worst[/i]
[*]Gladiator X (Ludus)
[*]Gladiator Y (Ludus)
[*]Gladiator Z (Ludus)[/list]

Last edited by RRG_walker on Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Added code block

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:42 pm 
Founder of the Republic

Sample Lists should show as follows:

List 1 Best
  • Gladiator A (Ludus)
  • Gladiator B (Ludus)
  • Gladiator C (Ludus)

List 2 Worst
  • Gladiator X (Ludus)
  • Gladiator Y (Ludus)
  • Gladiator Z (Ludus)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:56 am 
Noxius

List 1 Best
  • Zahra (Morituri)
  • Serequet (Morituri)
  • Anyone (Morituri)

at this point, in any arena with pits, Zahra is really top-tier. Her ability to engage at 5 inches AND push in any direction really sets her apart from everyone else in the game. Especially with her Reposition, she's able to power attack every other turn, or, attack twice every other turn, and deny the same to her foes, because she remains engaging, but not engaged.
Ludus Benefits are not even required for this combo. Neither is Serequet, but he just adds to her mobility and resilience, as well as adding some real hitting power in case of a fluke that lands her engaged (as well as offering immunity to opportunity attacks)

List 1 Best
  • Sven (Blood Brothers)
  • Vargr (Blood Brothers)
  • Hroka (Blood Brothers)
  • Caho-Ta (Blood Brothers)
  • Frigge (Blood Brothers)

This one gains it's power from a few different things, as Basuh and Duneedon have pointed out, the Blood Brothers Ludus benefit is very, very strong. This is coupled with Sven's swift ability, and Hroka/Caho-Ta's every other turn of four attacks (though Caho-Ta's attacks are not huge, they do add up, and as an opponent only gets one reaction per turn, having to decide when it comes to four seperate attacks can be a staggering choice to make.) The paid benefit of two reactions per turn is also particularly brutal, given that you can essentially make an attack with Vargr during a move reaction, and a counter attack with the individual being attacked, and still fall within the limits of having to do different reactions.

I'm honestly having a hard time coming up with "worst" lists, as for the most part, cohorts don't seem to be underpowered, it's just a few seem rather strong.