Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Ideas for Titans
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:37 am 
Noxius

I'll update this post as I develop ideas.

Initially I wasn't sure about the Titans, as I always found the idea of them becoming Exhausted rather undermining. However, I have grown to like the Stage mechanic and the way it makes a Titan feel like it's worth multiple fighters. My only issue is that some Titans seem to get more love than others, and some could capitalise more on their style.

But I still have some ideas on how to make each Titan a little more interesting.

To Leo 1 I would add:

Devour - If this model's Attack Roll, including any Favour Dice used, nets no failures the Defender must discard 2 Favour Dice. If they do so, resolve the attack as usual. If not, the Damage Tree is ignored and the Defender is immediately Destroyed as if it had been Pushed into a Lethal Hazard. This ability only effects models on a smaller base than this model.

Attack 4 is pretty weak, but he is a decent Favour generator. Devour would add some risk/reward to him. You can either use Favour to improve Leo's chances of htting, or take a gamble and potenitally kill the opponent outright.

To Leo 2 I would add Feral and:

Territorial - When this model activates, if there are any enemy models within 3" this model must attempt to engage one or more of them.

Combined with Pounce this would make Leo an effective, but wild, area controller which I think fits n better with the feral beast that's both angry at being attacked, but on a more defensive stance now that it knows its prey is a worthy foe.

To Wendigo 1 I would remove Taunt and add Consume Essence. I also had an idea for an ability that would make it more of a scavanger/survivor that only likes to attack Fatigued/Exhausted models.

To Wendigo 2 I would remove Consume Essence and Resilient, and add Feral and:

Ravenous - When an enemy model within this model's engagement range dies, this model heals all wounds and gains Exhausted if it has not done so already. If this model has not used this ability by the next Clear Turn, this model suffers 3 wounds.

Since Wenidgo 2 doesn't have that many wounds, healing it isn't a big issue. The fact that it must Exhaust through Feral means you have to be careful with your other models so your Clear Turn doesn't sneak up on you before you've used Ravenous (which also restricts how many times BB can use their Clear Turn).

Possible thought for a Caho-Ta 1 or 2:

Prey: This model may not attack Beast models if it is engaged with any non-Beast models. This model may spend 1 Favour to perform a move reaction against a Beast model.

I'm just thinking that even a wild stallion bred for war would know it's place when facing a big snarling predator, plus it adds to its mobility.

Got a few more ideas in the work, but that's it for now.

Post subject: Re: Ideas for Titans
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:46 am 
Noxius

Interesting ideas, I like the theme of them, definitely. I haven't yet had a chance to test the titans (tonight, finally!) but I can see just based on experiences with Aemillia that 4 ATK can sometimes feel weak. the nice thing about Leo is he's very difficult to dislodge - as a 50mm base and a beast, it is difficult to get him out of engagement, and once he can pounce, he's got the ability to get back into your face, without you walking away. I think maybe a standard rule for a few of the beasts like "Cull the weak" or something that, in addition to the normal bonuses for attacking an exhausted model, they gain a bonus favor die any time they attack an exhausted model (that they must give back if they do not use it in that attack).

I absolutely love the idea for wendigo with ravenous, though whether or not it will work in game terms I'm not sure. after a few tests with the cards as-is, I'd be happy to give it a try. it definitely feels like a wendigo themed ability!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:11 pm 
Founder of the Republic

These are all really interesting. Great stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:35 am 
Noxius

I just want Proximo to be changed around a bit.

The other beasts with multiple cards are telling a little story in their progression, like Euryale the seducing Gorgon turning into a batshit crazy, screeching, feral beast when hit often enough. Leo turns from a playful kitten poking people with his adorable attack 4 and roaring a bit into an attack 6 maneater when someone dares to attack him. Proximo just changes hist stats. I can't say anything about effectiveness on the table, since I have exactly zero AR games under my belt, but it isn't telling how his behaviour changes when attacked.

Now, I really like the Chimera in God of War 3, changing his stance and attacks going through the stages of losing his heads to Kratos and since Proximo is a wild mixture of beasts as well, I'd like something like that. Using his different traits on different cards. You have the snake head with his 3" reach, but what about his powerful giraffe/feline body that would be ideal for slamming people around once he's angry?

I'd like to see something like this:

Card 1: Stays the same, he walks around and bites people.

Card 2: Now he's angry and hurting, which makes him want to trample people into the dirt with his sheer power. He loses Reach, gains something that fatigues other models up, either in his tree and give him Rush, or as an automatic "Fatigue Up" success if he moved before the attack, call it Trample or something. Maybe give him Agile on top of that, who would stand his ground against him? OF course, he'd problably need a lower Attack with Rush or an "easy" to get Fatigue UP succes. More MOV, but not enough to make up for losing Reach?

Card 3: Trampling didn't stop people from hurting him and he's tired, so he goes back to biting people. This card could stay the same, the Reposition option for a first success sounds good for a wary beast. Card 3 actually has a Fatigue Up, but it's aaall the way at the end of his tree with 13 points of damage if you reach it. Ouch.

As you see, I'm not up to the task of creating rules for a game I haven't played, but I really want my Proximo to get angry and slam people around. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:07 am 
Noxius

i really thing stats are okay, but the abilities cripple him more than help. i would always play euryale over him. even leo, wendigo seems better than him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:51 pm 
Noxius

I look at my Trollblood Axer and now I want Proximo's final form to have Thresher (attack against all models in melee range, especially tasty if you have Reach). Star ability on his tree, a berserker like ability that costs health, against models in base contact or in 3", I don't care. As long as it is better than Gore, afterall the bull has a favour generating push machine on his back. It''d reward you for using his big base and reposition well.

Just make him more interesting, please.

I had a more thoughtful post, but my browser keeps logging me out, eating my post. Stupid tablet.

PS: I might get in a game, now that I'm visiting my family. Yay.