Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:12 pm 
Noxius

I have had some feedback I've been meaning to post, but it's taking awhile to compose. Until then here's an idea that stemmed from my experience with combat.

The core mechanic for combat is great, don't get me wrong. The issue I have is that it seems to swing between you and your opponent dealing 1 damage to each other, because of poor rolls, Defence and Armour, then suddenly dealing 10 damage with good rolls and Favour Dice. This may be the desired effect, but it can sometimes wear on. Also Favour makes a big difference, and a ludus that can generate a lot of it is at a huge advantage.

I have two ideas for small additions that could be made to combat, the purpose being to bridge the gap between a heavy Favour generating set-up versus a Favourless ludus, as well as to give combat a little more flare.

The first is open die, roll a six and you get (Option A) an extra die (Option B) a reroll. I favour the latter option, as it doesn't impede too much on Favour Dice and Defence doesn't get out of hand. I would try this for both attack and defence, then just attack and see the difference. I know Favour Dice are supposed to fulfil a similar role, but I think Favour Dice are too potent making Favour generators too... favourable.

The second idea is that if the attacker rolls nets all hits then they get a bonus, not an extra success (that should be restricted to Favour Die and abilities), maybe extra damage, or ignore armour. If they miss with all their dice, then the attacker suffers either a set damage (between 1-3) or it counts as if the defender had 1 success against the attacker, allowing them to select one of their first damage boxes (damage is still between 1-3 but it also opens up the possibility of pushes, etc). I prefer the latter option as it has more flare. Note: if the open die system was combined with this one, I would take away the critical hit but keep the critical fail.

I'll continue to give combat more testing as is, but thought this worth putting out there.