Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:57 am 
Crudus

In my opinion, the best thing about Caho-Ta is the automatic upgrade to power attacks at no cost. However, at a recent game I was challenged by my opponent when I did that. He referred to a rule in the rulebook (PDF v1.01, pg 13) which states:
"While mounted, neither mounts nor riders may declare power attacks."

To be honest, I had never noticed that rule (and I have pored over this rulebook countless times), but I feel that the automatic upgrade circumvents the declaration of a power attack (technically, I declared a normal attack... the power attack just happened...). My opponent wouldn't have it, believing that such a move would be against the purpose of the "no mounted power attacks" rule. I feel that Caho-Ta would be seriously underpowered without that rule.
I relented in the end rather than hold up the game and make a big deal while we are just trying to have some fun... but I thought I'd bring it up here and see if you all agree with my interpretation that Caho-Ta's ability is worded the way it is precisely to allow it to make power attacks (otherwise it could just say that " Caho-Ta may declare power attacks at no fatigue cost.")

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:38 am 
Noxius

I would also assume that the "no power attacks while mounted" would take priority.
Caho-ta isnt prohibited from attacking its just its attack won't be upgraded. If AR wanted to clearly show that it was possible while being rode on then it would have probably said that in the card. RAW, the auto power attack is a no go.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:38 am 
Crudus

While I can clearly see the reasoning behind that interpretation, I feel that in a strict RAW sense, the opposite is true.
The "declaration" of an attack is a defined element separate from the attack itself. It has been ruled that gladiators may declare attacks and reactions even when they are not in fact able to perform the attack or reaction at the moment of declaration (see rulings on Pounce and Intervene).
The rules as written right now prevent any mounted model from declaring a power attack, which, in effect, prevents all mounted models from performing a power attack EXCEPT for Caho-Ta. Caho-Ta's special ability upgrades any attack to a power attack without the need to declare it so. It is an automatic upgrade to a declared normal attack.

Does that make sense? (I could be completely wrong, but I hope I can at least explain my reasoning coherently)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:31 pm 
Noxius

That is true. I hadnt paid attention to the actual wording of the stipulation. Its not actually declaring a power attack but just a normal attack. I agree that RAW I was wrong but I would be surprised if that was the intent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:10 pm 
Founder of the Republic

Another one for RidiQles!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:25 am 
Viridis

Sweet, nice to know that I have been playing it correctly. So Caho cannot *declare* power attacks while mounted, but his attacks automatically *are* power attacks, so he is always unable to declare power attacks anyway. ☺

But yeah, that is confusing. Maybe another one for the faq. I also have completely forgotten that you can't declare power attacks while mounted.