Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:51 pm 
Noxius

Gaius Pallidus and Ur-Kek: When models get vitality back due to these abilities would this trigger Laurels? Rules say mark so this is likely crystal clear. I assume this vitality restoration would be called unmarking damage. So the opportunity to earn it again comes from taking more damage. Spectators do not cheer when you heal.

Ur-Kek: Engagement range with Wither is a unique term. It does not appear in other places although engages/unengaged appear as conditions. Does the engagement range mean the melee range (1")? If not then what distance should this be?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:12 pm 
Founder of the Republic

1) The healing doesn't trigger Favor/Laures on their vitality tracks. When they take damage again and the vitality is marked out the second time they will generate favor however.

2) Engagement range is 1" for all models unless specified otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:57 pm 
Noxius

Very specific situation which arose yesterday with these two models. Ur-Kek and Gaius were hitting each other, to the point of only a few health boxes each. Gaius killed Ur-Kek, which triggered Ur-Kek to get a free attack. THAT attack "killed" Gaius, but Gaius Pallidus is Undying. SOooo... He doesn't die that first time, and so Ur-Kek doesn't get to heal from a death, and is removed from play.

At least, that's how it seemed it should run. Anyone see it any other way?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:22 pm 
Noxius

The wording is pretty clear on that one I'd say:

Ur-kek: This model heals 3 vitality whenever another model within 3" is defeated.
Gaius: The first time this model is defeated, it is not defeated. Instead....

Gaius is not defeated and therefore does not trigger Ur's ability.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:58 pm 
Viridis

I would agree, but I feel like it is starting to get a bit hairy logic-wise.

Like... what if two Ur-keks that are both on one life left start hitting each other? Assuming they keep rolling ok and damaging, won't they stand there hitting each other forever? An infinite loop of interrupts of attacks that heal and hit over and over again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:25 am 
Crudus

As hilarious as it would be to see Ur-kek battling his clone for all eternity, I have to imagine the dice gods would eventually become bored and cause one of them to flub their Spite attack. Still, that would be great to witness, hahaha.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:42 am 
Viridis

You're right that one of them would probably miss an attack eventually... but it might take a while. :)

Also the sentence "the first time this model is defeated, it isn't defeated" bothers me in its self-negation. I would prefer "the first time this model is reduced to zero vitality". Or "the first time this model would be defeated". Or something.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:54 am 
Noxius

I miss isn't actually all that unlikely. Healing 3 with 1 ARM means it takes at least 4 damage to kill him in response and that requires 2 successes from Ur-Kek. 6 attack vs 2 defense is only getting 2 on average so all it takes to fail is 2:6 on the attack vs average defense or 2:2 on defense vs average attack to break the chain.

Also worth noting that a small spike the other way will also break the chain, as 3 successes will get you a push that will knock him out of reach to retaliate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:08 pm 
Crudus

Maybe Ur-Kek’s Spite needs to have a similar preamble as Gaius’s Undying... something like: “The first time this box is crossed...”

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:44 am 
Noxius

That wouldn't work at all with the other ways you can trigger [skull] abilities.