Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Morituri: Zahra
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:34 am 
Noxius

After my first game with Morituri I found that Zahra's lash ability is a bit powerful, and I want to know if I understand it correctly.

Lash: this model engages models up to 5" away. This model may push an ennemy model in any direction when resolving a push result instead directly away from the attacker.

So Zahra have and engaging zone of 5" around her all the time, she can assist a friendly model if the attacker is in her 5".
On the other hand when she attack a model from 5":
- he can be assisted only if the friendly gladiator is engaging (1") Zahra.
- he can't counter attack because he is not in engaging Zarha.

Lash seems really powerfull, Zarha can assist friends and attack in all impunity from far away: 5" range is a bit too much.

Post subject: Re: Morituri: Zahra
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:14 am 
Noxius

trantsiss wrote:
This model may push an ennemy model in any direction when resolving a push result instead directly away from the attacker.

This essentially allows her to pull victims closer or perhaps even reposition them in other ways as well.

I would assume that any model adjacent to the victim could assist as they help fend off attacks. They would need to get closer to counter attack 'though. So perhaps the lash could be used to keep victims at bay. It does seem very powerful indeed and I did begin to wonder if the monsters might need to count as two gladiators or something to help keep things balanced.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:32 am 
Noxius

In fact I've written all the lash ability text, but the problem is not the second stance. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:31 pm 
Noxius

Trantsiss - your interpretation seem correct on how lash and the reactions work. (At least from my understanding). See seems like a strong utility piece in that regards, but lacks in the damage dealing department. Looking forward to giving her a try...

Balgin- As far as the monsters/mounts go, yes mounted gladiators do count as 2 models. So, in a 3v3 you'd have 1 mounted gladiator +1 on foot for your side. Also keep in mind, for the current round of testing, we're only looking at the gladiators on foot, so small/med bases only. (I of course am assuming by "monsters" you were referring to the mounted gladiators. If not, I apologize.)

http://www.nerdsvsninjas.blogspot.com - a humble blog about gaming and other nerdy stuff...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:27 am 
Noxius

One of the issues I ran into with the Lash ability, does LOS affect it? I assume that it would, but it doesn't state that at this point. My opponent, too, felt that the ability is a bit OP. But considering Zahra's lack of damage dealing it balances a bit. It seemed like on average I was getting 2 successes on attacks, and that damage would just be soaked by targets armor. If you manage at least 3 successes its smooth sailing, pushing the target around and then re-positioning. Considering that you'll likely always be out of engagement with the target you'll always recover fatigue. So I guess she is OP. But I did manage to throw 2 models into pits. Though one was Gaius Pallidus, and he came back with Undying.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:24 pm 
Noxius

LoS cant affect it... as there are currently no rules for LOS or even any type of obstical (including walls). But I'd say if you can see the model then it should be affected.... ie if your 2" away but the other side of a 4" high wall your not affected.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:13 pm 
Noxius

Another question on zahara- what does "shift" mean? More importantly, how does it interact with pits and hazards?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:28 pm 
Founder of the Republic

@Trantiss your understanding of Lash is correct. It is powerful. It's part of the reason she doesn't do much damage. Internally we had considered changing the wording on Reaction: Counterattack to allow you to use the reaction against attacking models you don't engage, but any net successes the defender gets over the attacker are lost. In the end we just left it as is pending playtest feedback.

A Shift is basically a push that can't actually move you into an enemy model or piece of terrain. It stops you immediately before you would make contact with any model or terrain. So no extra successes, no fatiguing up, no spike damage, and it can't push you into a pit. We'll add the definition in next version of rules.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:57 pm 
Noxius

If Zahra engages an enemy, but the enemy doesn't engage her, can she use Re-position to remove a Fatigue from her at the end of her activation?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:01 pm 
Noxius

We were playing her where she could push enemies into terrain and whatnot, but it still didn't seem overpowered. It's a really good piece and a nice power, but her lack of defence and lack of damage really balances her out. Turns out she's not OP when horka chops her head off. ;)

Why is it not meat?