Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Momentum
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:42 am 
Noxius

I'm a little confused about the Momentum ability.

If a Push results in a model being moved 1" directly away from the attacker and you are allowed a free 1" follow-up move towards the target after every Push, what is the utility of being able to move 2" (i.e. you have 2" of movement to close a 1" gap)?

Post subject: Re: Momentum
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:06 pm 
Founder of the Republic

The push is directly away. The follow-up movement is toward, but not necessarily directly toward. The 2" follow-up gives you more room to flank the pushed model and alter the direction of any other push results you can get to on the damage tree with net successes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:43 pm 
Noxius

RRG_Bad/Other Nick wrote:
The push is directly away. The follow-up movement is toward, but not necessarily directly toward. The 2" follow-up gives you more room to flank the pushed model and alter the direction of any other push results you can get to on the damage tree with net successes.

This should be included in the rules for clarifications.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:30 pm 
Founder of the Republic

It's in the expanded Pushing section after the Damage Tree section. We didn't restate it under Momentum to keep it short. I'll put a note to bold directly toward and toward in the section which should help to call it out a little better.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:18 am 
Noxius

RRG_Bad/Other Nick wrote:
It's in the expanded Pushing section after the Damage Tree section. We didn't restate it under Momentum to keep it short. I'll put a note to bold directly toward and toward in the section which should help to call it out a little better.

I talked about puting the exact definition of the terms Toward and Directly Toward in the rulebook. For a not too experienced gamer these two things could easily mean the same without precise wording (even better with some graphical example). Even for experienced wargamers Toward can trigger wrong associations. For example in Malifaux you don't have to move in a straight line when somebody or something is in the way for the model moving towards something. That Toward is different than Arena's Toward.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:36 am 
Noxius

I think a definition or diagram of "directly away" and toward would be useful - maybe a diagram demonstrating the flanking idea to highlight, I consider myself an experienced gamer, but wondered at that myself ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:40 am 
Founder of the Republic

Ahh... That is an excellent point. We'll definitely add those definitions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:44 am 
Noxius

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

Thanks for the excuse to geek-out. I put this rough diagram together as an example of flanking :

The "push line" passes through the center of both models' bases. If the "pusher" moved along this line, the model would move "directly toward" the target.

If the "pusher" moves anywhere within a 180 degree arc that is perpendicular to the "push line" and centered on the target, the "pusher" will be closer to the target model and will have moved "toward" but not "directly toward" the target.

I see how this could get fun in terms of poking an opponent all over the area and into hazards, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:02 pm 
Noxius

dpratt00 wrote:
and will have moved "toward" but not "directly toward" the target.

And this is why some of the models with spears like Aemelia have special reposition moves in their damage trees that allow for a lot of redirection on the subsequent pushes :).