Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Hubris and favor limits
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:07 am 
Noxius

So a question came up, can Hubris allow you a figure to spend Favor above the 2 (or 3 for Ludus Magnus) limit?

At first I thought it worked like hot blooded which generates and must use.So yes you could be above the limit. But it is earn and spend on the next action. With that language I am not so sure.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:23 am 
Viridis

Very good question.

Personally, I would imagine that because it is an effect that is optional to invoke, and because of the wording as you point out, that Hubris does count towards the limit, and that it is stopped by Otho.

I think the reason that similar abilities like Hot-Blooded aren't is that they happen automatically when you do something else, and that is why they say "generate" and "add". Hubris says "earn" and "spend" and doesn't happen automatically, it is something you have to explicitly pay for - you just pay with Vitality instead of Favor. Therefore I think it counts as normal Favor dice and has to stay within spending limits.

But a model cannot be able to both use Hubris and Circus Maximus (to get a limit of 3) at the same time - it would have to be both Helleniki and Ludus Magnus, which is currently not possible. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:35 am 
Noxius

Thanks! I just wanted more thoughts on this as it is a bit different.

Another interesting thing is if someone uses Hubris in a Duel Zone they would earn an additional favor, but would they have to use that favor on the next die roll?

I don't believe so but as rules are added these interactions will be popping up more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:59 am 
Viridis

Yeah, the duel zone thing is an interesting catch. I guess if we go literal, then yes, while in a duel zone, they could use Hubris to take 2 damage, earn 2 Favor, and those 2 Favor both have to be spent on the next roll.

I assume that if the Hubris Favor would take the gladiator over their Favor spend limit, the excess would just be lost.

And I assume that being near Otho would make it impossible to use Hubris at all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:12 am 
Noxius

The one thing I am sure of is that Otho shuts down Hubris attempts completely based on the information from the FAQ and how Hubris is worded.