Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:53 pm 
Noxius

From the figure spotlights, it looks like the average movement of (unmounted) figures is 6". If I recall the rules correctly, this would translate to moving 6-12" in a single activation of a ready model, before any push or reposition bonuses from an attack. I know the "official" play mat is 36"x3" with an effective playing surface somewhere in the 30-33" range, but I'm trying to figure out what's the smallest distance you'd want to give any one dimension in a game of arena rex. Granted, I haven't seen anything on how deployment works, but I'm I'm currently thinking the shortest distance you'd want between any two walls is 20-22".

I'm thinking it'd be pretty easy to fit a 21" x 30" oval shaped "open-style" arena (as seen here) onto a 24" x 36" piece of MDF while keeping the whole thing relatively easy to transport. Maybe increasing to 22" x 34" and going 24" x 40". Without the rules or playtest docs it's hard to know for sure, but does that seem right to you guys?

EDIT: Didn't realize UBB code URLs didn't come through.

Last edited by CrayolaSmoker on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:17 pm 
Noxius

My thoughts when planing my arena was simply that 3' circle could translate to a 4'x2' oval or expanded circle without losing too much of the playing surface.

If it turns out to be an issue when it comes to starting a game then I can start each team at one end on the field .

Also bearing in mind that the game isn't grid based and as such movements aren't limited by direction other than backwards when pushed, the shape of arena will allow for some tactical decisions in the same way that traps and features will.

I can see a variety of shapes adding to the game.

It might also be great to see how the game works in a maze like structure with narrow passages and pits and traps around every corner. With gladiators protecting a stretch of corridor and a single player trying to reach freedom in the centre.

But that may require an expansion pack or set of house rules. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:00 am 
Crudus

Arden Fell wrote:
It might also be great to see how the game works in a maze like structure with narrow passages and pits and traps around every corner. With gladiators protecting a stretch of corridor and a single player trying to reach freedom in the centre.

But that may require an expansion pack or set of house rules. :)

I absolutely like the idea.