Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:48 pm 
Noxius

So I've only recently discovered this game and am going to dive headfirst into it!

Upon reading the rules I've had a few questions:

1. Pushes

I understand pushes well enough, the one ruling I can't seem to find is does the 1" push move end when they contact another model? Or does it displace the contacted model?

The push rules are quite clear on what happens during the push but does not state if the movement ends when contacting another model. I can understand that it would most likely end when contacting a hazard, as there is nowhere further it can be pushed to if it hits the wall or directly into a column.

2. Displacement

What exactly causes displacement? I know certain model rules specifically call out displacement, such as Nero's Gore ability, but in the core rules it only outlines what happens when something is displaced and not so much about things causing displacement. Are the only things that cause displacement model abilities that call it out, or is it also including Micon's Atlas Throw (which doesn't mention it)?

Also, in regards to the displacement example on pg 13, it shows Nero making a move action to end in the middle of a bunch of dudes. On pg 6's list of actions under Move it states that you cannot move through other model's bases, and I couldn't find an ability on Nero's card stating otherwise (Gore is on the attack). Am I missing something here? What allows him to move and displace? Can all models do this?

3. Berserk and Activating

As an example, a model with Berserk, say Sven, starts the turn with 1 fatigue. In step 1 of the turn you may remove a fatigue and can choose Sven. In step 2 it states you can't choose to activate a model that began the turn fatigued, however Berserk allows a model in the Fatigued state to activate.

From what I understand even though he no longer has a fatigue token he is is still in the fatigued state as he began fatigued (from page 4), and can therefor still activate, correct?

4.Noxius and Ambush (Zephyri Tactic)

Does Hated prevent Noxius from using Ambush? From my understanding as it is the Cohort's ability spending Favor rather than the model itself it is allowed. This is assuming that you spend the favor first then choose the model to benefit. I'm also almost positive that he still wouldn't be able to use the Brave ability.

Thanks ahead of time for looking this over, I know it's a bit much but I'm excited to get into this unique game!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:25 pm 
Founder of the Republic

Great questions!

1. A [push] is still regular movement (though not a part of a move action). You cant normally move through hazards or another model's base, and stop on contact since you can no longer move directly away.

2. Mostly what causes displacement is Titans moving (Nero is a Titan, as well as a Beast):
Unstoppable : Titans can move through non-Titan models. During their activation, Titans can end a Move Action overlapping the bases of non-Titan models. If a Titan ends a Move Action overlapping the base of a non-Titan, that model is Displaced.
(Micon's Atlas Throw should be treated as a special variant of a [push])

3. Step 1 of the turn structure specifically prohibits activating the model from which you are removing the fatigue. In your example Sven is no longer Fatigued after the removal, but is nevertheless unable to activate because of Step 1's restriction.
Step 1: You may remove a fatigue from a friendly Fatigued model. That model may not activate this turn.

4. Very close! You are correct that Hated does not prevent the use of tactics (favor spent by the player) which affect the Hated model. Unfortunately for Noxius, Expendable only counts him as a Zephyri model when determining whether Ludus Benefits apply (i.e. list building), and he is not a valid target for that reason.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:24 am 
Noxius

Simply stellar response! I love getting official resolutions on situations like these, and all the answers clearly make sense as to how they're resolved. You really have made an impressive rules set, that while short and simple is very deep and methodical.

1. and 2. have simple enough answers. On 3. I guess if you really need to activate Sven (or any Berserk model) in that instance then clearing his fatigue isn't what you want to do.

For 4. I understand it now, I believe I read in another post somewhere on the forum while looking for answers being mentioned that the entire cohort would have access to the Ludi benefit even though they were from another Ludi, but upon reading the response and rereading the benefits rule I can see that only members of the Ludi would receive the bonus. A shame really, as I was planning on utilize Ambush with Noxius' brutal first damage box, but I guess you saw that coming in advance!

Thanks again!