Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:03 pm 
Noxius

So a few questions after playing a little more...

-how does the vitality track work? Under what conditions are effects/favor generated? Specifically, are there things that circumvent it, such as hazards, friendly (or neutral) damage, healing and taking damage later, etc.?

-similarly, I don't know how it'd affect the game, but what happens if a model is killed by a lethal hazard (so you mark and resolve the rest of its vitality), and it moves as part of that? (IDK if there are any effects that occur when a model dies near another model, but that'd be the sort of case)

-are there limits to the number of times tactics may be used in a given clear turn, other than explicitly stated ones and of course any resources you can run out of?

-(for ludus magnus) what's the bottom of the damage tree? Is it the lowest row, or is it the last box along a given path?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:08 am 
Crudus

Vitality Track:
When you cross out a vitality box because of taking damage, the effect/favor is generated when the box with the symbol is crossed out. Currently, I don't know of anything that prevents people from getting these effects, except if there is a hero that states that you cannot generate favor while being engaged with him.

Killed by lethal hazard:
I would trigger all boxes after each other. I don't know of a model that moves bevor it dies, but there are models that have effects bevor being killed (Moriturii). I would therefore move it, resolve the effect when being killed and remove the model from play.

Number of tactics:
There is no limits currently except for those you mentioned: favor, or explicitly stating a limit. You can even spend all your favor, generate a favor for fatigueing a gladiator (as Ludus Magnus) and spend it again, though I haven't read the rules or FAQ on that.

Damage Tree for Ludus Magnus' Flourish:
I have to reread on the last question, though. In my opinion it is the last box of a given path but I could be wrong here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:15 pm 
Noxius

Cool, thanks for the response. I read everything the same way you did- I was hoping for an official response, but player interpretation is good, too, since it would indicate the language is in need of a clarification, even if we're both incorrect.

I think the Zephyri benefits are, as currently written, broken.

Vitality Favor as written + no tactics limit unless specifically stated + Blood Brothers seems like, as soon as you hit a clear turn, you can generate infinite Favor dice and repositioning (due to the common Zephyri models' Disengage rule) by bouncing around increments of 2 health above and below favor boxes. (As written, you can take damage without healing, too, so can do it from full health/before any combat began, but that extra edge is hardly necessary if the rest of the tactic is legal at all.)

I didn't play that way since it was game breaking and only used it to game health to shore up my front line and/or force my opponent's hits to generate vitality (which seemed like the intended uses), but is there currently anything but good sportsmanship stopping this? I like to push my forces to the edge, but don't know where that edge should legally be... for instance, should friendlies not generate favor, should there be a cap per turn or gladiator on the tactic, etc?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:29 pm 
Founder of the Republic

Good questions, especially the last two! Sheijtan is on the right track, but here is your official response... :D

spiralingcadaver wrote:
-how does the vitality track work? Under what conditions are effects/favor generated? Specifically, are there things that circumvent it, such as hazards, friendly (or neutral) damage, healing and taking damage later, etc.?

The only things that typically will circumvent favor generation from the vitality track are that model's own abilities where you have a choice to trigger them in lieu of generating the favor (Second Wind, Disengage, etc.). Mentulus specifically allows favor from vitality tracks only. Hazards, etc. still cause the favor to be generated.

spiralingcadaver wrote:
-similarly, I don't know how it'd affect the game, but what happens if a model is killed by a lethal hazard (so you mark and resolve the rest of its vitality), and it moves as part of that? (IDK if there are any effects that occur when a model dies near another model, but that'd be the sort of case)

Typically the movement will be resolved by the time the lethal hazard triggers. All pushes and other effects from an attack are resolved before damage is applied, and then the damage would be applied at the end (once the hazard has already done its work). I don't believe there is anything that causes the model suffering the hazard to move afterwards at the moment, but if something comes up later, that ability should apply before the model resolves being defeated

spiralingcadaver wrote:
-are there limits to the number of times tactics may be used in a given clear turn, other than explicitly stated ones and of course any resources you can run out of?

Except for the stated limits (and Zephyri correction below), no.

The Zephyri Blood Brothers tactic lost a pretty important sentence somehow (Oops!). It should have the same final sentence as Ambush: "This tactic may only affect each gladiator once per clear turn." Note that because the cost causes a model to suffer damage, that portion of it affects them as well

spiralingcadaver wrote:
-(for ludus magnus) what's the bottom of the damage tree? Is it the lowest row, or is it the last box along a given path?

The lowest row. Hermes is good enough. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:55 pm 
Crudus

Good stuff, Walker. Thanks for the answers!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:25 am 
Noxius

Quote:
The Zephyri Blood Brothers tactic lost a pretty important sentence somehow (Oops!). It should have the same final sentence as Ambush: "This tactic may only affect each gladiator once per clear turn." Note that because the cost causes a model to suffer damage, that portion of it affects them as well

Ah, I wish you had posted this a couple of days before, as i printed the translation yesterday.
Anyway, I already corrected the files, and i'll make a handwrited note on my copy :)

Thanks for the answers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:36 pm 
Noxius

Thanks for the detailed answers! Blood Brothers is way more reasonable now. Just to be completely sure, that means that any given gladiator can only gain or loose 2 health a turn from it, but it is possible to game for favor (and other vitality tricks), correct?