Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:56 pm 
Noxius

Would it be possible to break down how Reversal works? Specifically, how does the ability play with things that grant extra successes during resolution?

If for example, you roll four net successes, and choose to resolve the attack tree in reverse from the fatigue up, and with one of the pushes, you send the enemy into an allied model, do you still get to use Atlas throw (or the 4 damage)?

thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:15 am 
Noxius

If you got 4 successes you never got to select the atlas throw, you would need at least 5.

I read the rule as you select which boxes on the damage tree you want to use then add any free ones, like a push for enemy being exhausted, then instead of applying the results top down then apply damage it's apply from the last selected box and work to th e top.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:56 am 
Noxius

the main instance I can see in issue though, is the interaction between pushing someone into an ally - this adds an additional net success, but you don't have that success until you resolve a step in which the push occurs.

so ignoring reversal for a moment, if you get four successes, you don't start out with atlas throw, but can generate that final success required, if one of your pushes makes the enemy contact an ally, you get to add a success. at that point it allows for the atlas throw (or +4 damage)

my confusion comes from that mid-resolution success generation is all

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:53 am 
Founder of the Republic

This is a very good question.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:35 pm 
Founder of the Republic

Reversal is a "may" -- If you need to generate the additional success (or plan to trigger Flourish with a success generated by pushing), you should start from the top.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:43 pm 
Crudus

I guess I'm struggling to conceptualize how Reversal would work. Nick (or someone else who has a good grasp on it, I suppose), can you maybe do a step-by-step explanation of an interaction demonstrating it? Muchas gracias.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:47 pm 
Founder of the Republic

After discussing it, we're just going to adjust the wording to save everyone from a lot of research and grammar debate.

Add: "When using Reversal, this model does not generate additional successes by pushing an enemy into base contact with a friendly model."

You can still generate additional successes when moving forward, just not in reverse.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:35 am 
Noxius

Great - no more confusion! I really like this ability. Micon really stands alone in how capable he is at forcing enemy gladiators out of position.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:18 am 
Viridis

Sweet thread necromancy... but I'm actually unsure if I understand the Reversal ability entirely.

Micon's damage tree goes [push] [push] [push] [fatigue] and then either [star] or [4dmg]. And the Reversal ability means he can resolve them in reverse order.

So... if he scores three or less successes, then the ability is pointless, right? Because it's just all pushes, no matter what order you resolve them in.

If he gets four or five successes, he can choose to do damage or throw or fatigue the target before he pushes it. But why is that a big deal? I feel like I am missing something.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:34 am 
Crudus

I think it will be important once it comes to mounted gladiators. Because you can separate rider from mount with the following pushes. And since the Atlas throw means you can push a lot more inches, it also means your follow up move is larger, making it easier to change the direction of the following pushes, while a one inch move only allows for a smaller movement circle. Therefore, the adaption of the direction is much smaller for the normal resolvement order.