Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Beast Monsters 'Terrain'
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:06 am 
Noxius

Has anyone else played with these rules yet? Thoughts?

I played 2 games this weekend and I thought that this was basically one of the BEST additions. Rather than the games becoming a power struggle in the middle every time, I had one match where Leo (used in both battles) acted as a deterrent in the middle, and forced two separate encounters on either side. It really made it alot more interesting deciding where you were going to invest your time, how you were going to surprise your opponent.

The second was much more crazy. Leo got his fair share of blood that's for damn sure. The entire fight swung round to one side and had much dancing on the edge of a pit, and much pushing and dancing around Leo who eventually made his way into the thick of it through multiple people luring him in, letting him taste blood.

Literally going to use a beast every fight from now on. Such a good addition. Can't even accurately express my enthusiasm.

Now if only I didn't have to use crappy paper models.... ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:46 pm 
Crudus

This is great to hear. I have to admit, when I first perused the rules for Living Hazards, I wasn't sure if they'd end up being a positive to gameplay, but your report sounds promising. I'll have to try and get a game in this week and try them out for myself.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:54 pm 
Founder of the Republic

Living hazards were so successful in our internal playtests. From the very first game I was in love with the new hazard type and will always have one...maybe two on the board.

(working on a few more beast models as fast as we can shhhhhhhh)

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:55 pm 
Founder of the Republic

Oh, and please let us know what you think about the new Incite tactic, which allows players to take one action with a living hazard during their clear turn at the cost of 1 favor.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:39 am 
Noxius

Quote:
Oh, and please let us know what you think about the new Incite tactic, which allows players to take one action with a living hazard during their clear turn at the cost of 1 favor.

Nick I don't even need to play test this. I already know that's freeking awesome. I will however try it soon haha.

New beast models eh? Although this is fantastic, I'm still waiting on a few others first ;)

Keep going!! Nearly there!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:06 pm 
Noxius

RRG_NickP wrote:

Nick,

Its a great idea we need the ability to move the Beast otherwise it becomes too static and if you are not able to move your opponent near to it then it will become avoided.

Ant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:10 am 
Noxius

Had two test games yesterday with the v0.6 rules.

We played with 3 gladiators each and Leo as living hazard in the middle.

Some questions came up:

Is someone, who resists a Push (Mago tries to push Gaius) in 3" of Leo considered as "pushed"? (our guess: No)

What will Leo do, if there is no path to his prey that's less than 6" (e.g. because it is blocked by other gladiators)?

If i incite Leo, is it possible to declare an Power Attack? (it's an action)

To Zara: Is it possible for a Gladiator to declare a Reaction: Counterattack, even if he is 3" away? (our guess: Yes) - But can he use net successes for his damage tree? (My guess: No, he is not engaging Zara)

I liked this version more than the first draft of the rules! Especially the living hazard and the higher attack values! Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to the models :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:23 am 
Crudus

magadusch wrote:
Had two test games yesterday with the v0.6 rules.

We played with 3 gladiators each and Leo as living hazard in the middle.

Some questions came up:

Is someone, who resists a Push (Mago tries to push Gaius) in 3" of Leo considered as "pushed"? (our guess: No)

If you resist a push, you should not be considered pushed.

magadusch wrote:
What will Leo do, if there is no path to his prey that's less than 6" (e.g. because it is blocked by other gladiators)?

If I understand "Wild" correctly, it will attack the nearest gladiator. So if it is blocked by other gladiators, those are obviously closer and should have been attacked. If it is blocked by other obstacles, I would say, that it moves up to its move in the direction of the closest target.

magadusch wrote:
To Zara: Is it possible for a Gladiator to declare a Reaction: Counterattack, even if he is 3" away? (our guess: Yes) - But can he use net successes for his damage tree? (My guess: No, he is not engaging Zara)

By going through the rules briefly, I don't see a reason for not to react and defend with Attack Value. I also don't see a reason not to apply the damage to the enemy. But I think this should FAQed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:25 am 
Noxius

I meant Leo as living hazard: Someone is pushed within 3" range, but he has no way to get there with his 6" movement (e.g. blocked by other gladiators)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:58 am 
Crudus

magadusch wrote:
I meant Leo as living hazard: Someone is pushed within 3" range, but he has no way to get there with his 6" movement (e.g. blocked by other gladiators)

I would still say, the Living Hazard activates and tries to go around, even though he would not reach the gladiator. But in my opinion, I would still let him move.