Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:56 am 
Noxius

alchahest wrote:
I've found that the cost to run the always-reacting, always-berserking blood brothers is fairly high (in favour, fatigue, and health). It is particularly harsh against a canny opponent who maneuver in such a way that the intervening Frigge can't get close enough to matter. That's part of what I love about blood brothers, though - the choices you make with them are very meaningful. Risk vs Reward.

I would like to echo what Alchahest is saying for two reasons:
1: I was the canny opponent (and lack modesty)
2: the specific counter that I used was a heavily focused attack on any berserker that came with in range (specifically focusing Septimus and Viatrix on Sven)

In the actual game that we played, the payoff was a rapidly defeated Sven, but a single dice roll (Sven defending with 0 successes) turned the situation around. Prior to that defence, Sven had seriously damaged Septimus (Viatrix wasn't in range to taunt yet) and could have either finished Septimus off or done the same to Viatrix.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:03 am 
Noxius

I feel that berserk is a-ok as written, but in talking with Duneedon last night the additional activation on clear turns seems to be potentially causing the issue you may be experiencing Basruh. I'm not opposed to having a reaction then, but, I think that it should come with a favor cost, or perhaps a fatigue cost - ie, you must fatigue to activate, but can then continue your activation as normal. leaves you with a more limited activation, which is offset by berserkers being able to activate when fatigued/exhausted.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:09 am 
Noxius

my main point was the passive activation. you do this with sven and you get a reward like 2 actions (yours and deny for swift). berserk and intervene (frigge and vraga?) is just to save sven for the combo. the 0 cost clearturns rounded up with synergy like berserker/intervene/cohortskill is just icing the cake. i didn't find infelix bad, he is a glass cannon, but seriously compare infelix with sven, that is really a poor match! not that sven is up in 2 stats that matter by far more, he also got better abilities (disengage, berserk and swift....) and the abuse with cohortskills. creating 12 and more benefit in 1 game ist just absurd, when the opponent plays defensive he even gets more time for actiondisadvantage.

we switched positions and that really made a difference! instead of 5 :0 the game it was 5:1! MAN THE EFFORT FOR BRAKING THE COMBO PAYED OFF!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:32 am 
Noxius

While Sven is a dastardly berserker, I again encourage you to try positioning to disallow Frigge from getting to assist. And if she's causing problems, take her out instead. try using Marcus, or Mago, or Ban-Luca to prevent moving around, Hermes, Lupa, or Thoth to help reducing favor (to reduce their clear turn advantage). Use Viatrix, Ur-Kek, or Leo to dictate who gets attacked.

Basically: Use any of the other gladtiators' abilities to start breaking down the combo. And remember Infelix' damage tree has a LOT more damage potential than Sven, as his tree is loaded with threes, and sven has twos all the way down til the very last box (which is a four). and given that hitting the entire tree is not extremely common without spending favor (which will help prevent BB from using their paid ludus benefit) or power attacking (which eats into fatigue usage), Infelix will tend to doing more damage on an attack than Sven.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:48 am 
Noxius

you cannot switch to frigge since there is vragr waiting with his 8 inch reactionrange. it's the 3 of them making the combo work, since there is never a target you can focus to kill, while they outmaneuver you and even create absurd actionadvantages. if you pin them down once, they just disengage. i would rather play sven than infelix, since infelix dies in 1 turn, sven doesn't. he seems to be immortal and creates more actions and with that more damage than infelix BY FAR. if you can't just count or compare the stats and abilites against each other, IT MUST BE MY MISTAKE. appologies. everything fine, everything balanced, since i can adjust my gladiatorlist against the others before the game.....not. marcus furious has never payed off for me, mago is stronger and always sees play when mori turi around. viatrix and other abilities doesn't work, sven won't be in her range.

still think there should be a difference maker against that REACTION:movement on an engagementmovment. it just draws all possibilities to kill/powerattack (if you follow you fatigue so hard and BB doesn't care fatigue, your even a better target). maybe a free reposition or favourdice for enemy running away.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:01 pm 
Noxius

I'd like to note that my view on Blood Brothers does come the day after being soundly defeated by them. I feel that the clear turn activation should probably come with a cost or some kind of disadvantage, but, the remainder of the blood brothers ludus is really not overpowered. powerful, certainly, when played by a player who is good at utilising their synergies, but, not overpowered.

as for infelix vs sven, whoever goes first has a good chance of killing the other. Infelix doesn't need to kill Sven to make him less powerful, only take him to a point where he can no longer berserk to add up the attacks. after that point he is severely limited compared to infelix. and remember, infelix has swift as well, so he can run up and make a big attack on sven just the same as sven can do to him, with no chance of counter attack or moving away.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:09 pm 
Noxius

I actually really like the idea of gaining a favor die if your opponent moves out of engagement with you while it is your turn. (as a result of a reaction move). it's fits with the theme of the game, and helps encourage faster games. actually, since it's the only reaction which can postpone combat instead of escalating it, I'd say it might even be worthwhile to consider making it a situation where you must pay a favor to the attacker when you leave engagement range, as the crowd's fickle favor dwindles for the coward and lays favor on the aggressor!

Great suggestion - honestly you should put that in the suggestions thread. I'll vet it :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:32 pm 
Founder of the Republic

I did mention in another thread that the Ludus abilities are something we'd like to do another pass on.

We'll try out the favor for disengaging internally as well, great idea!