Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:41 am 
Viridis

Hooray, thank you! FAQ'ed at last. ;)

I will read and see if I like it... but still supporting the idea that either way, it would be wonderful if RRG could read it and see if they agree with the answers given.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:57 am 
Noxius

viley wrote:
Just read the whole thing and I kinda agree with everything. Seems like rules as written answers to most questions. I think the issue with beasts as last man standing is a for better or worse it just is what it is, similar to Gaius regaining two health every activation as last man standing

I also do fully agree during a clear turn the player tacking it chooses the actions following the clear fatigue

Yea, overall the answers in here are pretty clear and make sense RAW. The only one that didnt sit well with us is the LMS answer (the flexibility of utilizing tactics after your "normal" activation). Unless RR comes back and says this is accurate we won't be playing that way locally.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:58 am 
Noxius

Chabbernackle wrote:
viley wrote:
Just read the whole thing and I kinda agree with everything. Seems like rules as written answers to most questions. I think the issue with beasts as last man standing is a for better or worse it just is what it is, similar to Gaius regaining two health every activation as last man standing

I also do fully agree during a clear turn the player tacking it chooses the actions following the clear fatigue

Yea, overall the answers in here are pretty clear and make sense RAW. The only one that didnt sit well with us is the LMS answer (the flexibility of utilizing tactics after your "normal" activation). Unless RR comes back and says this is accurate we won't be playing that way locally.

Completely agree. We only ever played LMS as clear turn+any tactics, then activate, no mixing and matching

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:46 am 
Viridis

I've read the FAQ now, and I agree that the suggestions it makes generally seem sound. But the answers, the way I read them, are a mixed collection, where some of the answers are just explanations directly from the rules (like "Yes Medusa is a gladiator"), and some of the answers are interpretations that don't seem to have any official backing, such as the answer that mounted gladiators can use the Maneuver tactic. I agree that it makes sense that they can - but to me, the rules don't say anything about it either way, so it's just a suggestion, nothing official.

Which is the original point of this thread. We who are reading it right now can choose to say that we will agree with the answers given in the FAQ and play like it suggests, but when it has no official recognition, we can't actually say that the FAQ is "correct", so any event can choose not to follow the FAQ without diverging from "officialness".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:20 am 
Noxius

Who knows when an official FAQ will come. Looks at how long it took GW and they're a huge company.

I think as long as on a player end we can agree on rulings it's more important than to just not play things until we get "official" FAQs. In my gaming group we just play through options and use what makes sense from a gaming perspective, and that has pretty much aligned to the info provided here.

Personally I'd rather have this document and have a general agreement, than not

Also I've been pulling to get more of a community in my area and more of a competitive scene for a while now, jealous of what some of the other communities are managing from an organized play perspective :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:56 pm 
Viridis

Yeah, the game is perfectly playable as is. Getting official answers to rules questions is a luxury, and we have had a bunch of official answers given to rules questions here in the forum for a while.

We could actually make an official FAQ by just finding all the question threads here in the forum with Walker replies and then compiling that. The only thing that makes the FB-FAQ not official is that it answers things that haven't been answered by RRG here on the forum, to my knowledge, and therefore those answers aren't official.

The weird thing is that there seems to be a movement right now that intend to play an unofficial modification to the rules about having the activation of a LMS be the last thing that happens during a clear turn, which is interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:17 pm 
Noxius

Wishing wrote:
Yeah, the game is perfectly playable as is. Getting official answers to rules questions is a luxury, and we have had a bunch of official answers given to rules questions here in the forum for a while.

We could actually make an official FAQ by just finding all the question threads here in the forum with Walker replies and then compiling that. The only thing that makes the FB-FAQ not official is that it answers things that haven't been answered by RRG here on the forum, to my knowledge, and therefore those answers aren't official.

The weird thing is that there seems to be a movement right now that intend to play an unofficial modification to the rules about having the activation of a LMS be the last thing that happens during a clear turn, which is interesting.

Issue with that is that there are multiple iterations of the rules responded to here. Some from 2013. Not only are some rules different now, so abilities have completely changed. I'd say the forums needs a good clean up of irrelevant posts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:34 pm 
Viridis

Good point and hard to disagree with.

I guess if RRG are hosting an officially sponsored tournament soon, they might have an answer there for how/if/whether they are going to tidy up the rules questions and answers at some point. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:53 am 
Noxius

I believe the quickest way to get things answered is to message Arena Rex on facebook. You'll usually get a reply within a day, but there is little posterity for others looking for the same information. The FAQ was built from a number of those conversations.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:33 am 
Viridis

Interesting. Shame that Facebook sucks and I hate it.

The FAQ would appeal to me more if it had some kind of reference for each answer, like a link to the post on Facebook or something similar.