Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:39 pm 
Crudus

Nice combination of colors - the touches of blue and green accent the pale/gold nicely. I also really like shifting Hermes arm forward slightly from the concept art... It makes him seem a little less stiff and "posey" and more engaged in his surroundings IMO.

(And I think I've said it before elsewhere, but I really dig your take on the bases. It's not at all something I would attempt but you really make it look nice.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:28 pm 
Noxius

Sorry for the super-slow reply, but thanks :)

Another one down- I think vargr might be my favorite (though I was also very happy with Lupa). Some brief notes.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:03 am 
Crudus

Looks great (as always)! I especially like the skin tone you achieved - making red, brown, and tan skin look truly realistic has been my biggest challenge in painting these figures and you have done a great job here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:11 pm 
Noxius

Thanks! I think I've gotten some of my best mixes for AR- think it's that there's so much skin that you can't really half-ass it.

For those of you who're getting interested now that it's hit a general release, a review. (Cross-posted from general...)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:06 pm 
Crudus

spiralingcadaver wrote:
Thanks! I think I've gotten some of my best mixes for AR- think it's that there's so much skin that you can't really half-ass it.

I agree with this 100%. I've gone back and restarted the skin tones on the majority of the AR minis I've done - once (with Marcus Furius) even slapping a new basecoat over a totally finished job and starting from scratch, all because I felt like my work didn't quite hold up to the sculpt's quality. Frustrating, but I also feel like I'm getting my best results, so that's good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:53 pm 
Noxius

Yeah, definitely nice to feel like you've pushed yourself, even if the result isn't quite what you were trying to hit.

It's been a bit, but I finished Bjarrhvit and Frigge (notes)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:49 pm 
Noxius

Love the work on the fur.

Trying to find the best way with giving my fur some depth. Not sure if I should dry brush or make a was of sorts and let the watery paint set and dry in the recessed area.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:20 pm 
Noxius

Thanks!

On best approach- I'd go with making a wash 90%+ of the time. A wash will pretty easily incorporate into any paint scheme, while drybrushing just looks like drybrushing most of the time.

Then again, once I made the switch to a white undercoat, I never looked back, while some still prefer black bases.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:31 pm 
Noxius

I am an amateur painter, but I would use both on fur. Dry brushing is not as good as highlighting by hand, but it can be very effective (and a huge time saver) on fur and hair. I apply a wash after I dry brush to blend the highlight color in better and remove any chalkiness from the dry brushing. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:05 pm 
Noxius

spiralingcadaver wrote:
Thanks!

On best approach- I'd go with making a wash 90%+ of the time. A wash will pretty easily incorporate into any paint scheme, while drybrushing just looks like drybrushing most of the time.

Then again, once I made the switch to a white undercoat, I never looked back, while some still prefer black bases.

I've always been a light to medium gray person myself.