Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Myrmillo & Hoplomachus
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:38 pm 
Noxius

HI folks, thought I'd post some pics of 2 gladiators I painted up last year - one is a Myrmillo and the other is a Hoplomachus. I ordered 2 of the Myrmillo model from Warlord Games and decided to convert one into a Hoplmachus by swapping the weapons, shield and changing the crest on the helmet.
They are 28mm scale so a bit smaller than the Arena Rex ones. The blood was still wet when I took the pics and I have since darkened it up a little so it looks more like dried blood.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I hope to get some more practice on skin tones over the summer ready for Decembers releases :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:23 pm 
Noxius

What paints do you use? They look a bit thick on the models, maybe try watering the brush as you spread it on. I'm so excited for the new Arena Rex models and I too have a hard time with human skin tones. I'll have it easy with the beasts though!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:37 pm 
Noxius

I mainly use GW paints, along with a mix of Vallejo, Army Painter and P3 ones. I'm planning on getting more practice with skin tones over the next couple of months - I've got plenty of Bolt Action Soviets to paint up and might order some different models to practice on as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:55 pm 
Noxius

Nicely done there. Would you like a tip on painting blood effects or would that be too cheeky? If you add a dab of brown ink to the middle of the blood stain then it helps it look thicker, as if it's congealed and the thinner red is spreading from a wound.

Of course if those were meant to be splatters of another warrior's blood then you can completely ignore my suggestion. And hey, you're welcome to ignore it anyway. Just trying to be helpful :).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:26 pm 
Noxius

Balgin wrote:
Nicely done there. Would you like a tip on painting blood effects or would that be too cheeky? If you add a dab of brown ink to the middle of the blood stain then it helps it look thicker, as if it's congealed and the thinner red is spreading from a wound.

Of course if those were meant to be splatters of another warrior's blood then you can completely ignore my suggestion. And hey, you're welcome to ignore it anyway. Just trying to be helpful :).

Many thanks - I have since darkened the blood on the base with some brown ink added to the Tamiya red I used (when I took these pics, the blood was still wet and I was waiting for it to dry :D ). I might have to take some better pics at some point in the future.............. :D