Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Atlantis
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:58 am 
Viridis

I feel like I could do with some kind of explanation or at least discussion about the concept of "Atlantis" in the Arena Rex world. The impression I get from reading the forum is that the world background isn't fully developed, but I feel like this is an important concept where the RRG people must have *some* idea of where they want to go with the idea.

So the bottom line is that the background descriptions includes references to both "Atlantean" and "Atlantis".

Wendigo is described as "a dark spirit from Atlantis". And Bjarrhvit "made her way to Atlantis on the wings of rumors". So "Atlantis" as a place seems to exist in one way or another.

But the main posts I see here on the forum state that "Atlantean" is meant to refer to a pan-Atlantic Ocean movement, not to the place Atlantis.

What I would like to hear from anyone who wants to share is their thoughts on whether Atlantis as a place actually exists or not. If it does, what kind of place is it? And if it doesn't, what makes you think that it doesn't? Has RRG commented on this in one way or the other?

I don't mind making up my own mind and mythology of what Atlantis might be, but it's most fun to ground it in the ideas that RRG have about the background.

Post subject: Re: Atlantis
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:13 am 
Noxius

I think the idea of "Atlantis" comes from an imperfect understanding of the AR factions' impression of North America.

Since AR follows the real world sort-of closely, we can assume that the Vikings in their world have made their way to North America, and have colonies/trading posts in the places that some believe may have actually occurred historically - like in the northeast provinces of Canada.

This is where they run into what we would call Indians/Native Americans, like Hroka or Vargr, and traditionally Native American monsters like the Wendigo.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:10 pm 
Noxius

As I understand it, "Atlantis" is how the Republic and Empire refer to the New World, specifically North America.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:29 am 
Viridis

That would certainly make sense. So in this thinking, it is the name of an actual specific place. And when the text says that Bjarrhvit made her way to Atlantis, it means she travelled from Scandinavia to North America, I take it.

Thanks for the replies! :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:12 am 
Viridis

I have now at long last bought the AR rulebook, and the background in the beginning (the main reason to buy the book since the rest of it is free) is really cool to read. It definitely seems to be the case that "Atlantis" = North America.

I suppose that in the game so far, there are only two Atlantean gladiators - Vargr and Hroka. Right? All the rest of the Zephyri seem Norse. Even Leika, even though she is a bit hard to determine. But I'm not getting much of a Native American vibe from her.

And one Atlantean monster, the Wendigo. :)