Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Arena Rex History...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:27 am 
Noxius

The main question is about who they have not conquered in the successive years to be represented in same way in the games.
Anyone they are currently engaged in conflict would likely not be represented in the same way.

The Romans in history defeated the Gauls, Samnites and Thracians and put gladiators representing them in the games. No gladiator acts as an Egyptian in Arena Rex but the Morituri exist so this seems to answer some of the relationship.

Atlantis is mentioned in the Blood Brother's faction. But no gladiator has yet been shown...yet. Based on the background relayed the city would be in the Atlantic instead of the Mediterranean as some historians have speculated. A number of questions stem from the mystery such as were the Atlanteans defeated and would an Atlantean have a specific type?

The Persians, Mongols/Chinese and other Africans do not seem to have conquered if I have even accurately mentioned those groups. But that interaction has yet to have been divulged. I know it was mentioned in the comments of the Kickstarter. RRG will handle as the spotlight focuses on related factions.

Post subject: Re: Arena Rex History...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:23 am 
Noxius

"Atlanteans" is used as a term for "people from beyond the Atlantic Ocean" in this setting. It is mentioned in the character description of both Wendigo and Vargr.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:30 am 
Noxius

I'm willing to accept. If more information appears later then it will get sorted out. 'Fabled' in the first below led me to what I believed. I understood 'fabled' to be mythical because it was used in tandem with Atlantean instead of exceptional.

From one of the first Kickstarter updates:
The Blood Brothers
Based out of Hibernia in the Gallo-Roman Empire, Ludus Fratrum Cruore is the only gladiator school that can claim fabled Atlantean fighters in its ranks. Composed of a unique mix of Nordic warriors and natives of the far western continent, the Blood Brothers draw huge audiences within the empire and republic alike.
The Blood Brother aesthetic is a vibrant and uncharacteristic mix of Viking and Native American cultures.

Vargr: 'From the exotic lands beyond the Atlantic, Vargr always preferred the excitement and adventure of hunting, combat, and scouting to the long-winded wisdom of the elders.

Wendigo: Tales of a dark spirit from Atlantis began to circulate, and strange sightings began to occur -- occasionally one of these ravenous creatures can be drawn into the arena to shock and terrify the crowds.'

Bjarrhvit: A huntress and trapper from the twilight north, Bjarrhvit made her way to Atlantis on the wings of rumors.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:40 pm 
Noxius

The game takes place at about 500 AD (1253 AUC) with an alternate history. Roman decline started accelerating in the 3rd century. Here is a website that shows where Rome was when it started to go off the rails. Add 300 years of growth to that map and you get an idea of what the empire would look like in 500 AD. Contact with the Americas is certainly possible.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:17 pm 
Noxius

The Roman Empires in our history were eaten from the inside by the "barbarians." RRG has said that in the game's time everything is alive and thriving. They've even taken the time to conquer Ireland. From Vargr's background suggest some went West from the "old county."

RRG has also stated in the Kickstarter comments that they are not investing in exploring a wide review of the history. So we'll learn as other gladiators are released down the road. But if you see one gladiator from a geographic area not covered before then you are likely to see a ludus.

I would assume the Turks, Huns, Persians, Chinese, Indians and others are not part of the Empire. Some have no conflict because of their remoteness and trade. Others are rivals.

Part of my question was inclined toward who are the Empires fighting. Likely those people would not participate in gladiatorial combat with their enemies. It's all speculation since the broader alternate history is not known.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:36 pm 
Noxius

Forgot to put the link to the maps. http://www.timemaps.com/history/world-500ad
Perhaps you can use this site to get some ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:00 am 
Noxius

Thanks.

Oddly when you learn history you typically deal with one place separated from all others unless there is a war. With the wide travel of the Empires, even though that must take a very long time, there were connections to most of the world.

I pulled out a RPG book called Fulminata Armed with Lightning that I picked up a while back. I believe they gave the game its name from the Twelve Legion. It's an alternate history where Rome gets guns because of the discovery of gunpowder during Vesuvius's eruption. Lots of information about society, a lot of Latin and some great art.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:10 am 
Noxius

Mithra wrote:
I would assume the Turks, Huns, Persians, Chinese, Indians and others are not part of the Empire. Some have no conflict because of their remoteness and trade. Others are rivals.

Part of my question was inclined toward who are the Empires fighting. Likely those people would not participate in gladiatorial combat with their enemies. It's all speculation since the broader alternate history is not known.

Different empires jockeying for power did still have diplomatic ties, even back then. If you look at the Olympics as a rough modern analogy, it is feasible that enemy nations/empires would participate in a world-wide gladiator spectacle.

With RRG's alternate timeline, we are basically in medieval times, meaning the dark ages did not transpire as they did in real history, and while the world is still a very violent and brutal place, the Roman Empire would be a very different place than we remember it prior to its demise.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:01 pm 
Noxius

I over-generalized in respect to large groups.
Movitated individuals would participate regardless of war.
War adds more obstacles for those inclined. Most men are already fighting, the high cost of war takes away from basic activities and if you are fighting the Empires you are likely to propagate impartial beliefs against them.

The key constraint is travel.
Most of the people involved with the arena, whatever it looks like, live near it.

Arenas are the wellsprings.
So everyone, including potential gladiators, flock there.
The only certainty is that the ludi operate very closely around arenas.
The ludus shown so far are composed of people from the similar geographic areas. That's part of their identity.
But as long as someone is accepted into a ludus then they have a chance to fight.
For even Infelix was one of the Noxii once.