Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:37 pm 
Noxius

Hi guys,

I'm looking for as much info that can be deduced from the characters in Arena Rex as possible.

So I'm looking for things like:

Pronounciation of name (how many people got Aquila wrong? ;))
Likely home region/country
Name of equipment
Gladiator type
Fighting style
Other possible deductions

We already have a list of the meaning of most of the names, and most of the classic gladiators are relatively easy to figure out, but still I think we can do better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:53 pm 
Noxius

Otho is a myrmillo (various spellings). He wears the fish emblem on his helm. That means he is not a Gallus. A Gallus had either an animal or a wheel, the Celtic symbol for war. After the Gauls were assimilated into the culture using that name stopped. The fish utilized comes from the Black Sea (Pontus Euxinus). Otho could be just a big Roman. He also could be Armenian/Persian/Caucasian if retaining the fish means something more than his role. The Roman Empire never extended that far in our history. He's a lot taller than everyone else. That may be indicative of his culture because typically this role was filled by short and powerful men.

Gaius Pallidus invaded Hibernia which took place in 900 AUC (148 AD). In our time Hibernia was never invaded but it was Caledonia/Britannia. If that is true then he is close to 400 years old. I say give the old man back his obscene regeneration.

Thoth carries the crook and flail which were a symbol of royalty. Osiris carried them. So Thoth appears to be a facsimile of the arbiter of finality in the underworld. The Romans never interfered with Egyptian religion but they did attempt to hijack it on occasion. He's wearing bandages on his feet and arms which may support that symbolism. All the Egyptians are barefoot because sandals were for special occasions. Only Mago who is a transplant wears something akin to boots.