Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:00 pm 
Noxius

Perhaps there can be a "Season" type format where each player selects, say, 8 gladiators, and uses them to participate (or choose not to) in a series of themed bouts, with the ruling that death is almost never the result of being defeated. perhaps being at 75% or more of a gladiator's health at the end of a bout, that gladiator must sit out at least one bout. 25% - 75% and he'll have to sit out two bouts. if you "died" you have to sit out three bouts, but on your their bout back, if that gladiator is not hated, you gain an additional favor die at the start of that game.

perhaps with "Death" there will also be a chance for a permanent injury - an extrmely low chance, but there could be a chance to reduce movement, attack, or defense by one for the remainder of the season.

there'd be no levelling up, or advancement like that, but, money could be awarded based on the theme of the bouts, and each team could roll remaining favor dice at the end of the match to increase thier earnings. at the end of the season the team with the most cash wins.

also winning a bout could give you a temporary favor boost in your next match or something

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:35 pm 
Noxius

I think that would make for some awesome house rules, I think the closest RRG will go are objective battles which they spoke about somewhere on here. I am very interested to see if anyone takes the time to come up with a rigid campaign format though. It'd be great for game days with buddies.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:36 pm 
Founder of the Republic

We do love league and campaign rules, but we have a lot on our plate already right now. That doesn't mean we don't have a couple of ideas for things we'd like to see, but they aren't all compatible and it might be a little while before we get to really explore them and boil them down to a proper direction. There have already been some great ideas thrown around, and it's also nice for us to see what you guys think makes for a good time, since every gaming group is different.

Once we are out of the Kickstarter fulfillment woods, I'll create a dedicated section for homebrews and houserules on here (For now I would rather focus on the playtest), and see what other kinds of resources I can scare up to tide you over. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:39 pm 
Viridis

I definitely like fluff from a perspective of world building, i.e. what are the various cultures like, what deities and pantheons, how are societies different from in history, what kinds of monsters are out there, and so on. Getting more of a feeling of how the world works.

But I'm not interested at all in short stories or fiction set in the world. I want the setting, but I don't want/need stories set in that setting. To me, the games we play are the story. I don't need to know the personal histories of each gladiator, just seeing their model and their rules is all I want, because I want to use my own imagination when I'm playing the game. I don't know if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:37 am 
Viridis

I don't have the printed rulebook yet, but I am really curious about the Atlantis concept for example. It seems to me like it is an island in the Atlantic (..) where both Scandinavian-type vikings and Native American-type braves live together. But that's just what I can glean from the small individual gladiator descriptions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:49 am 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:
I don't have the printed rulebook yet, but I am really curious about the Atlantis concept for example. It seems to me like it is an island in the Atlantic (..) where both Scandinavian-type vikings and Native American-type braves live together. But that's just what I can glean from the small individual gladiator descriptions.

I think you're referring to the descriptor "Atlantean", which I'm pretty sure is a reference to the Zephyri being from both sides of the Atlantic Ocean.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:53 pm 
Viridis

Gomez wrote:
I think you're referring to the descriptor "Atlantean", which I'm pretty sure is a reference to the Zephyri being from both sides of the Atlantic Ocean.

Maybe, but Bjarrhvit's description says as follows:

"A huntress and trapper from the twilight north, Bjarrhvit made her way to Atlantis on the wings of rumors."

So she made her way to a place called Atlantis, apparently, or at least she thinks so. So when the other descriptions said someone was Atlantean, I did think it meant "from Atlantis", i.e. the place that Bjarrhvit was, whereever that may be...