Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Arena Rex Movies/T.V.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:52 am 
Noxius

Well to start with we have the obvious titles such as "Gladiator" and "Sparticus", but how about some lesser known shows or movies. Is there anything from BBC, less well know movies, or a documentary you know of that others may enjoy.

There was a Indy movie I watched a year or so ago that was great for the viking element of the brotherhood named "Valhalla Rising" that was pretty good. The History Channel's series "Vikings" just finished it's first season, and was very good.

Anybody know of any Aegypt themed gladiator shows?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:13 am 
Noxius

Its not directly gladiator related but there is a pretty decent movie called Centurion the features some roman centurions (surprise surprise) who get stranded in scotland and end up being hunted by some picts. Good references for both the Legio XIII and the Blood Brotherhood here I think. Its on netflix and I am going to go back and watch it to help get some inspiration for my Legio themed arena.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:23 am 
Noxius

Quote:
Its not directly gladiator related but there is a pretty decent movie called Centurion the features some roman centurions (surprise surprise) who get stranded in scotland and end up being hunted by some picts. Good references for both the Legio XIII and the Blood Brotherhood here I think. Its on netflix and I am going to go back and watch it to help get some inspiration for my Legio themed arena.

Hahaha, I was literally watching this on netflix last night while doing some glamorous sprue cutting...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:27 pm 
Noxius

Ashur highly recommends Starz's Spartacus.

:P

The Eagle was an ok-ish coke and popcorn movie. Not great, but not so god awful you ask yourself why would anyone take part in making this film.

Such as battlefield earth. or After Earth.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:19 pm 
Noxius

I tried watching Spartacus and couldn't get into it. The over the top ridiculous fight scenes were great and I enjoyed some of the political intrigue but I found it dragged and that there were too many awkward sex scenes... They weren't even sexy or anything, they were just like raunchy in all of the wrong ways. I want more blood from my gladiator TV show.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:00 am 
Noxius

There are extensive sex scenes, though rather common for TV shows on premium channels, Starz, Showtime, etc. the good news is that there is only 1 to 2 sex scenes per episode and they are no more than 60 seconds long.

If you didn't like the sex scenes, the other 58 minutes shouldn't be ruined by them.

Compared to A Game of Thrones, Spartacus is like a after school special.

Come to think of it, I can't think of a single show on premium networks that do not have extensive sex scenes. And I watch a lot of them. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:02 am 
Noxius

I only got through the first three or so episodes and I don't watch premium TV, I don't even really watch any TV. Anyway I don't know maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance but it was rather low on the ass kicking blood spilling end of he spectrum and thats what I was looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:20 pm 
Noxius

lizrrdbreath wrote:
I only got through the first three or so episodes and I don't watch premium TV, I don't even really watch any TV. Anyway I don't know maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance but it was rather low on the ass kicking blood spilling end of he spectrum and thats what I was looking for.

that is actually what the show is known for beyond anything else.

the once thing that did annoy me was the comic book style of blood spraying everywhere.

not offended by itm but when it occurs just about every time, it becomes rather annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:29 pm 
Noxius

Not quite TV or Movies but a nice source of fantasy Romano style is Simon Scarrow's Eagle series of books (also known as Cato and Macro).

I've read the first 5 in the series and am currently discovering the ways of Roman Navy and Piracy in the early AD. I'm fairly certain that one of the next books focuses on Gladiators, and Scarrow's attention to historical detail is very good.

Worth a read.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:33 am 
Noxius

While not a movie or television so I violate there, National Geographic had one issue with an article about the arenas in Libya where spear-wielding gladiators fought animals such as leopards. There were current photos of the arena and then some artwork based on the man versus nature fight. That's something that directly relates to the OP.